The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought home twin Nubian bucks yesterday. They were banded earlier yesterday to wether them and we picked them up a few hours later. We only live a few miles from where we got them so it was a short 15 minute drive. The owner wormed them and gave them an antibiotic shot and another shot that is supposed to help with the move, I forget what it was called but it started with a B. :shrug: Last night they were a little sleepy and sore from the banding but this morning they were both very lively and friendly. They have both eaten hay all day and drank water.

I just noticed that one of them is breathing a little hard and I immediately thought of shipping fever. He has no signs of it otherwise except for the breathing. He is eating well, drinking, walking around. He's not as vocal right now as he was earlier this morning. He has no discharge (has a tiny bit of clear but not dripping and barely there).

I'm hoping I'm overreacting but I just want to be sure he's not coming down with the fever. Could it just be allergies / sniffles? And stupid question I'm sure, but do goats breath harder when it's a hot day? It's been much warmer today than it has been in the past few weeks.

We are so happy with these two cuties and I just hope he is okay and it's not the fever.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I would take his temp... And if there is no temp, I wouldn't worry too much... It could be he just stressed himself out by being too lively this morning.... I would keep an eye on him though. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in soon:)

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
You could always give them Probios for a week. Will help their rumen while they get used to a new home. They have gone through a lot and may be a little stressed. Just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! His breathing is back to normal now so I'm not sure what the problem was but he's definitely back. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Shipping fever is simply pneumonia brought on by the stress of shipping animals, running them through the sale barn, and then shipping them to their destination. The early symptoms - usually within 24 to 48 hours - are isolating, probably off feed or not eating well, may be hunched up, nasal discharge, possibly coughing, dull eyes, and a general presentation of not feeling good. As it progresses there will be a hacking/congested cough, head hanging, isolating, off feed and water, thick green or white nasal discharge, labored breathing, sunk in in front of the hip bones, weight loss, reluctance to move, and probable heaving sides. If allowed to progress further, death will result. How long it takes to kill the animal depends on the type of pneumonia.

·
2,203 Posts
Wow that is a a lot of changes in a short amount of time. With stress, the wormer may not work, so watch that issue for a couple weeks. Vitamin B Complex used to keep appetite after the banding.

If you'd like you can give probios for a while to assist the rumen to work properly. You may also choose to give aspirin for the boys' poor testis. Lol

Watch for any secondary symptoms. You really don't want to treat pneumonia without it actually being pneumonia. Pneumonia treatment is aggressive and pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts