Silent Heat? or Just hasn't cycled

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by woffinden, Sep 19, 2012.

1. woffinden

woffinden Junior Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Worland, WY
    I have a 15mth old American Alpine doe that I have not been able to detect a heat on. She is sharing a fence line with several very willing bucks, and her pen mates (all nigerians) have already all been in heat this season. Her tail has never appeared messy, and she has never seemed overly interested in the bucks. Are we just early in the season, or could she be having a silent heat? My biggest concern is that she isn't cycling at all. Any experience or help would be much appreciated.

2. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Can't help you with your alpine but wanted to say Cowboy is looking handsome ... :cool:.

There are nice udder pics of Mama Mia on Sharon's site if you want to update.

Pax (full brother to Cowboy) is doin good too but he doesn't have the Elvis look like Cowboy does. lol.

3. woffinden

woffinden Junior Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Worland, WY
    Why thank you! I just love him. Sharon has the most beautiful animals. I'm really hoping that Cowboy will add some serious milk production to my herd. Pax is looking very nice as well! Let me know how his babies do :D

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Maybe she's just one of those late starters? Our buck has bred 4 of 5 does. The one we're waiting on was in heat at the end of June, but she hasn't come back in heat that we've noticed and she hasn't been with a buck until the last few weeks - we'd know if she came in heat, or buck is very ummm....vocal and persistant when a doe is in heat LOL
    I hope she comes in heat in the next couple of weeks, really need to get her bred, so we can start looking for a new home for our buck for the Oct/Nov breeding season.

5. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    From what you describe about your doe and your management situation... my bet is that she's just
    not cycling yet. If it's any consolation, I feel your pain.

6. Texas.girl

Texas.girl Adopted by Goats

I have a Boer doe with the same problem. She wandered into the yard last Nov. so her exact age is a guess, but she was probably born March or April of 2011. She lives full time with a buck born this past April and who is very eager and tries daily. She is happy to push horns with him but he better leave the back-end alone. She gets testy with him when he tries to mount, even getting a bit violent like she is screaming "KNOCK IT OFF". I am new to goats but I have never seen any changes in her to suggest she might be in heat or be pregnant, so I am guessing she still has not come into her first season. Hopefully one of these days that will all change.