silly BOSS question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 19, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    I'm going to go pick up some BOSS. I have a doe who needs to put on some fat, low worm count, free choice high quality hay, gets grain 2x day individually. she's a mature doe who just needs a pick me up after weaning.

so..all I can find is the BOSS for wild birds... lol I know! silly question, but can this be fed to her? it's an AK brand, meant for wild bird seed. :greengrin:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/black-oil-sunflower-seeds.html
    HA!

so now i know that they can be fed to horses. so...goats!

also how much should I give this doe for weight gain? in the article is says

of course these will be lower for goats.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I'd start out withaout a handfuld in her feed for several days & add a little at at ime from there.
    Mine get about a third cup to a 2lb cottage cheese container of feed.

4. I agree but also be sure your selenium levels in your soil are not real high or too high. Some areas any BOSS can KILL a goat. Regular sunflower seeds can do the same if this is the case.

Also a feed store should have a bag of BOSS. If not Black oil sunflower seeds is the same no matter if for birds or who. Hope that helps.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Our local dollar store, of all places, carries 5lb bags of BOSS. Labeled for birds, but I'm sure it's the same thing anyways.

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    We use BOSS for birds. Buy it at the feedstore in 50lb sacks, actually. Like $12 or something along those lines. The feedmill I use sells A LOT of horse feed, so I naturally asked it lots of folks fed it to their horses..

Couple of the guys there looked at me like I was crazy.. I was told that they really just carried it as a convenience to folks feeding birds, simply because lots of people had called looking for it.

I don't think they realized people were looking for it AS FEED until I spoke of my plan to use it as feed. They couldn't figure out why anyone would do that, so I pointed out that it's like 50% fat and can help improve skin and coat condition, and overall body condition if necessary, and that it usually contained quite a bit of Selenium.

I think they all kinda looked around at each other like..."Is *that* why people were calling for it?!?" LOL

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha that's too funny!

it was $9 for a 10lb bag and $24 for 50lbs.

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    That's kinda high, but then again...milk's like $8/gal up there in some places, isn't it?

I have a buddy somewhere in Alaska ('Squarebanks,' maybe?) and he said prices for everything are just UNREAL.. :(

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha! Squarebanks is a nickname for Fairbanks... lol, no worries though, mostly locals call it that so you're in the loop ;)

yeah, in the 'Bush' where there's no road access gas and milk are extremely expensive, i haven't lived out there for awhile and I forgot how much it was..but it's nice to be paying $5.45 for milk and a doz eggs are $2.49, though we have chickens.

10. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    $5.45 for MILK?

Jeepers i get annoyed when they don't have it on sale for $1.69-1.89 - the regular price is $2.49. My kids go thru at least a gallon a day. i'd go broke.

Eggs i think are less than $2 a dozen - haven't bought them in awhile b/c i have chickens, (so mine cost me probably $5 a dozen :wink: )

11. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    As a random note, when I still bought cow's milk I'd spend about $6 a gallon and the eggs I buy are $3.50 a dozen.

So now I own dairy goats and chickens ;)

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    We buy organic whole milk from the local dairy and have free range hens that I supplement here and there. $6 for milk is kinda pricey, but I'll pay it until I can keep does in milk here. My kids also go through about half a gallon a day, if I buy boxed cereal, then more.

I didn't think to ask my feedstore if they carried BOSS. They probably do. Does Walmart?

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Shell...if you have a tractor supply close by, try there...it's usually in the bird seed aisle, another place to try would be an Agway. Also, the Dollar General here carries the BOSS too but I won't buy from there again because the first bag I got was buggy.

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Might as well try TSC then. I was going to swing by Walmart to grab the rabbit alfalfa pellets because they're only $7 a bag.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: silly BOSS question/ gas price?

we have a walmart in the valley and that's where I got the BOSS. I opted for the 10lb bag because I needed to buy gas. it's $ 3.35 for a gallon of gas. what is it where you're at? it was up to $4.15 a while ago.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Gas? I want to say it was 2.60 something when I ran down to get Wynonna yesterday. It doesn't matter how bad the price is to me anymore, I know it will never be 99 cents a gallon anymore and I'm still putting in 20 bucks. Just enough for the trip I'm going on. lol