silly fencing question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Apr 25, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi everyone.

this summer i want to let my goats out more, but i dont want one fixed 'pasture' i want to be able to move it around, and let the stuff they just ate a chance to catch up. kind of like rotational grazing.

The problem is moving wire fencing around, I dont want to make more pens than I need to (i have 4 now), that would be a big chunk of my cash.

And I was shopping through a livestock catalog and saw the 'goat and sheep mesh fencing'....and I started thinking...you know that mesh type orange fencing, it's really tough and they sell it by the 100' at the hardware store. I could easilty move it around, and buy enough of it that theyre pen would be large enough that they'd be more interested in eating. They wouldnt stay in there overnight (because of dogs) but probably 9 am to 10:30-11pm
    (it doesnt get very dark here in summer) and every few days i could move their pen...

how does this sound? it'd be 4' by 100' per roll. it can't kink bend or errode. :? :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    anyone have thoughts on this?

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I think if I were you I would look into it.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    do you mean the orange mesh electric fencing? It has plastic poles that you step on to drive a little spike into the ground. I think its fantastic! I use it to cell graze during the spring flush. Couple things to keep in mind yes, they do get their head stuck in it sometimes, not that big a deal you will hear them screaming and just turn the electric fence off and get them out. Also, dont use it without electrifying it. I learned that the hard way, my goats were trained to the electric, and the battery on the unit died and I thought, surely it will be fine for the day, until I get the battery charged. Nope. Goats have this sixth sense that allows them to tell if the fence is on or off. They charged straight through it and ripped it to shreds. That was an expensive little experiment!

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep that's the stuff, that you see at construction sites (but I would stretch it). but I dont know if i could get it electrified...mine have never had electric fencing..

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hmm ... I think we might be talking about two different things.

This is the stuff I am talking about:

[​IMG]

except we get it in orange here. Its too cold to go out and photograph mine lol so I just google imaged it and came up with this. Almost the same thing.

But I think we might be talking about two diff. things ... :scratch:

I would def. electric train yours first with just a single or double wire in their normal enclosure, before cell grazing with electric. But seriously, cell grazing with electric is a wonderful thing.

I've also cell grazed with just some portable panels, pegged together into a square. Works fine also. I just dont have enough portable panels to make a very large space so I cant fit too many animals in it, and have to move it often. But its manageable

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG]

this is what i'm thinking....

I know electric would work best..i'm just wondering if this would contain them for a few hours a day... we have short summers so it'd only be in use a few months and I already have enough pens for winter.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hmm, it might if you had a lot of fence posts and were able to strain it really tight between them, and your animals were laid back and good on fences. We use that stuff on the show pens because the babies escape, and I know the mums are pretty darn good at getting their horns in it and ripping it to shreds.

I'm a bit doubtful, but if I was me I'd get some to try it out as an experiment. guess thats the scientist in me :wink:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I wish I can give you advice Katrina...but I have no idea.. on that kind of stuff.....but keren is doing a great job helping you with it.... :wink:

By the way .....you put "Silly" in the title of your post ....
    no question... is silly my dear.... :wink:

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

The mesh fence needs to have electrical current through it. If the goats didn't go through the orange plastic fence, the predators would. I am using the electric netting around chickens now on a really hot charger and it works great. I'm going to get two more rolls and more goats as it really is coyote proof. Right now our fence is powered by a charger on electrical current but there are large enough solar/battery chargers for the electric net although they are expensive. Still cheaper than permanent fencing though. Plus your goats should carry much lower worm load if they are being moved a lot.

If you could watch your goats constantly, leave them out only during the day and make sure there's nothing around they would rather have than what is inside the orange fence, you might try it. But then you could just shepherd them all day for about the same amount of effort and forget the fence.

11. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Take a look at Premier 1 Fencing. They have many different kinds and grades as well as different pricing. You should be able to find something that is easily moveable from them. Here is their website: http://www.premier1supplies.com/ Hope it works out for you! We are thinking of doing the same thing. Brooke

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmmmm......That orange safety fence was something I thot I could use also...well, it didn't work at all, my minis went straight through it. I now have a 4 strand all hot electric "pasture" and is very portable if I choose to move it around, which I plan on extending the area very soon, though with 4 hot wires the bucks still go through it so I need to figure out that for them, but for the does it does well. Also, they are gated from it thru the night and let into it thru the day, for protection from night time predators.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina........have you decided on a fencing yet? :greengrin: