The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a silly question....
When people talk about "shavings" for bedding, pine or ?,
Is it the same as those big bags they sell for small critters? Or is it different,
and where do you find it?
Right now I have just straw down for my boys, but the odor is crazy and I am having to clean almost daily.
We converted an old shed into the shelter, but it has a wood floor-- uck--
so I am trying to figure out options.

:scratch:

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
The wood floor if just fine. A couple of my shelters have wood floors. I use pine shavings. I buy them at TSC or CoOp. You may need to replace the wood floor in a couple years as it will breakdown.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Usually wood shavings are pine, and I think they are the same as the big bags you are talking about. You can get them at farm supply stores, feed stores, or probably pet supply stores. Another option would be to see if there is a lumber mill near you. You may be able to get them there at a better cost than any of the above.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'd be careful with pellets. If they eat them, it could cause problems, as they expand a LOT when they get wet. We used to do a lot of fostering for a cat shelter and would use them in litter boxes (MUCH cheaper than regular litter!), but every now and then there would be a cat that would eat them, so we'd have to switch to something else until that cat was adopted.

I wonder if wood CHIPS would be useful? I had a tree-trimming company dump a load of chips for me (for landscaping) for FREE. HUGE pile. I've been thinking about trying them in the barn... but my girls waste enough hay that I just use that as bedding. Once I get a decent hay feeder, I'll have to figure something out for bedding. Of course with the chips, you'd want to know what it is, in case they eat it. Mine was nothing but cedar - which I only knew because the crew was right down my street when I asked them to dump a load for me!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
If I had access to cedar wood chips I would put some around the perimeter of the shed at least. Cedar is a natural bug repellent. It's sometimes used in dog and cat pillows because it repels fleas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.