The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a ridiculous post but I'm just so excited! A friend of mine gave me a gallon of fresh raw milk from her Nubian doe. I tentatively poured myself a glass, took a sip, and was shocked! It was so good! If I didn't KNOW it was goat's milk I would have thought it was whole cows milk :cool: Sweet, creamy, and no "goaty" aftertaste. I was worried because I HATE goat's milk from the store...it has such a strong aftertaste I couldn't drink it. I could barely cook with it. I'm hoping my girl's milk tastes this good! Only another year to go before I have milk of my own...maybe I can convince the hubby we need to buy a doe in milk, we've got room for one more! :thumbup:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
hahaha. I was in your SAME boat! I don't like drinking straight milk anyway, but I tried my girl's milk and it was surprisingly tasty! the stuff in the store is just horrid!

yes...sounds like you need to get a doe in milk....esp if you have room for one more. hehe

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm with you! Sweet, creamy, not goaty, but with a hint of sweet green alfalfa and fresh meadows. I'm grateful for even the little bit that I'm getting, drinking it fresh in the barn. It makes my mouth and throat...happy feeling, with a comforting milky taste, for hours, until I eat or drink something else. Even heated, no funny aftertaste, just kind of buttery. Better than the storebought organic cow's milk, and better than the storebought goat milk which made okay cheese (an experiment I did which, even at $4/litre(quart) was still cheaper than buying chevre!). The storebought goat milk didn't go well in coffee, as it came through goaty once warmed like that. Goaty cheese okay, goaty coffee not okay.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
It is SO good! It just has to be fresh, and from goats that aren't copper deficient or have mastitis. I could live off of it, really I could.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I love goat's milk! Funny thing is I didn't try it until after I had already starting buying milk goats. I was going off my love for goat's cheese, and I was completely content with just making cheese from my goats. I was buying my FOURTH nubian when I finally tried some, and I about melted it was so tasty. I'm so glad I loved it because that means I could drink it too. I am not much of a milk drinker to begin with, but I find myself pouring a glass here and there when I would have never done that before.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont forget to make some homemade ice cream with it!!!!
Darn it! We used up the whole gallon already! I'm going to be doing her milking for her while she's on vacation in a few weeks and get to keep some of it :cool:. I will have to try making some cheese and ice cream! I guess I'll have to scour the recipe forum to find out how to do it! :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
goat milk really is a treat :) especially from a Nubian. Very sweet and creamy. We get over a half gallon a day and use it all up so every day it is a fresh milk supply. I day dreamed about having our own goat milk long before our girls were even bred! Lol

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
294 Posts
We had our first kids on May 9th and I was eager to see how our doe's milk would be. We had never had it before. Once I started milking her my older daughter insisted it tasted "goaty" and my younger daughter couldn't get enough of it. So I subjected my older daughter to a "blind taste test." We used 2% cow's milk, cow half and half and the goat's milk. She picked out the half and half and then tried to determine which of the other 2 tasted better and was the cow's milk. After going back and forth she stated "This is definitely the cow's milk! It's so good"...and she held up the goat milk lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear you! We've never had goat's milk before, and a small herd of alpines sort of fell in our laps last fall. Our first kids are 2 weeks old, and so tonight I decided that instead of freezing it, we would drink some of it! Holy yum. It was so creamy - that I hadn't expected! My 4-year old said, 'MMMM, yummy!' and was sad that I wouldn't give him more (want him to get used to raw milk slowly). My 2-year old chugged it! My husband? He said-"Hm. Tastes like the pizza I had in Iraq." :rolleyes: Well, you can't please them all!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Darn it! We used up the whole gallon already! I'm going to be doing her milking for her while she's on vacation in a few weeks and get to keep some of it :cool:. I will have to try making some cheese and ice cream! I guess I'll have to scour the recipe forum to find out how to do it! :p
IF YOU HAVE A FANNIE FARMER COOKBOOK YOU WILL BE ALL SET AS FAR AS BASIC RECIPES. WE USE ORANGE JELLO TO MAKE SHERBET.:cool::D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts