Silly question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I just read a post and it got me thinking.... not sure why I never thought or considered this before, but...
    When do you consider them a yearling? On their actual birthdate, OR is it like for example thoroughbred horses
    Jan 1st of the next year they are considered a yearling, even if they are born on Dec 31st.

Just wondering, especially since we are getting some does soon that are pregnant and could kid before the end of the year.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Goats are considered yearlings around the time they would turn a year old.

3. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    for me, a yearling is between 1 yr and 2 yrs old. Before that they're XX months old, after that they're 2, 3 etc.

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I would consider anything a yearly when it has it's first b-day. You can have one coming a yearly and be old enough to breed, depending on size, but it still would not be a yearling til after it's first b-day. JMO

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....when a goat turns 1 year old...it is a yearling.... :thumb: :wink:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Like I said we're used to thoroughbred race horses, and no matter what month they are born, they always age on the first day of the year officially. That is why the breeders breed from Feb-usually late May/early June. Since horses carry for 11 months.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i kinda do it like horses.. most of my kids are born in jan-march, so i consider then yealings like the racehorses.. easier for me

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem..... yep... goats are different.... :wink: :thumb:

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I call them a yearling once they are a year old. Before they are a year old I say how many months they are and once they turn two I say how years old they are.

10. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I didn't know that about horses! So if they're born 12/10 they are a yearlng 1/11? or 1/12?

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep. Thoroughbreds anyway :) I used to work at a breeding farm, and they had a New Years Eve foal....they hid that foal for a week LOL
    Now the jockey club, whom you register through, pays more attention to when horses are bred, and will actually go out and check horses who were bred early just to make sure they were still pregnant.

Valentine's Day is typically when the breeding sheds around here open.. :laugh: