Silly question!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Feb 25, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm going to pick up some alfalfa bales tomorrow. I've never bought a bale before because we use round bales - and the alfalfa we have been using is stuff that hubby raked up in the feed room at the horse farm he works for - it wouldhave just been thrown away and the girls love it! But....we are out!
    I have good mix hay for them and alfalfa pellets, so I am not overly worried, but the first few weeks they are nursing we want them on a ration of alfalfa. Grass and browse will slowly start coming in soon, so by the time we wean them to just alfalfa pellets and hay....they'll have browse.

So my question is.... the farmer has 2nd and 3rd cut. Which would be best?
    AND how many bales do you think I could fit inside an SUV? I have an Oldsmobile Bravada so it's very comparable to a Blazer. I can put the back seat down.
    We have always bought round bales....and they were delivered.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm just not sure....I want to cram as many bales in as I can though!

2. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I think I fit 14 rectangular bales into the back of my trailblazer. They weren't the largest rectangular bales we have ever purchased but longer then squares.

3. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    3rd cutting is best. I think I could only fit about 10 bales in the back of my Montero Sport. Good luck!

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Id say 3rd cutting, but if i had to, Id buy the 2nd cutting anyways.

We have the same car!! xD Never hauled hay in it tho, its more my dad's. Hes not a goat person :laugh:

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Haha... I have hauled everything in this thing! All the pallets and building supplies for the barn, the goats, all except for a doe and our buck.

I forgot to ask what size bales they are, as I know some farms around here use the real big square bales.

Thanks for the replies, now I have an idea of what we can get :)

6. Def 3rd cutting! Less stem more leaves! less waste(ideally) as far as baales i couldn't fit more than 3 of mine in a rig like that? Mine are 75 to 80lb bails! Good luck!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, your 3rd cutting will generally be better as long as it didn't get rained on or was baled to wet, etc.

If they were both baled the same and didn't get rained on though, your third cutting would be top choice. I have no idea how many bales you could fit in your SUV though. Good luck!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    3rd!
    I drive a truck and can get 40 on it :D

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Is it possible you could borrow a flat bed trailer from someone? I'd die without my flatbed! xD

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    No Way! Out here in California, I oculd fit TWO bales in my daughter's trailblazer -- our bales are 110 to 130 pounds... I hate having to unload 'em....

11. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    2nd and 3rd cutting will have about the same nutrient and protein levels so either one is a good choice. Personally I would look at both for texture, color, mold ect and then decide. Depending on the weather 3rd cuttting is a tricky business...don't always get good drying weather so it lays longer or gets baled wetter.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much! The good thing is, getting rained on is probably not an issue because it was a very dry summer and fall. It was so dry we didn't even have a 'pretty' fall follage because all the leaves dried up and shriveled away!

We may do these kids the same way we did our Jan twins. We kept them stalled at night seperate from the herd for a few weeks so they had some 'space' from the others and this is when I will put alfalfa down for them. While they are stalled all day they will get it 2x a day. Once they are outside during the day they will get it 1x, so we don't need too many. I also give alfalfa pellets - I space all the feedings out, plus they get grain 2x a day with BOSS, and outside they have access to 2 different kinds of mixed grass hay. Whew, that was a mouthfull LOL

Anyway, our twins have done very well on this routine, I still seperate them and mama long enough to have their alfalfa - the non nursing does are doing just fine on their 1x a day grain & free choice hay so they don't get the alfalfa.

The twins are almost 7 1/2 weeks old and weigh between 35-37lbs....lil heiffers' LOL

13. klingshirnm

klingshirnm New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    As far as what cutting of alfalfa to feed, well it depends on your area. I live in northern Ohio, and we usually have 4 to 5 cuttings a of alfalfa. This past year we only had 4 but also had no rain from mid july to september 1st. First cutting usually has more stemmy grass to it. We feed this to our horses and cows. from there weather and fertilizer-pending, all cuttings should be about equal. Again, this past year on about 10 acres, our 2nd cutting was about 600-700 bales, and then 3rd was 300, and 4th was barely 200. We gave up on 5th cutting. Our goats are getting the 3rd, mainly cause the 2nd is very stemmy, and we should all our 4th. But, I would say look at the hays you are going to buy, and first off look for mold, and smell for must, depending on where the bale is stored it will become sun-bleached, and only minimal nutrition is lost, not a big deal.. A good alfalfa will have stems that are a little bigger then pencil lead, and you should be able to see little leaves. I will try to get a picture of what I am talking about but need a few days to post. Now an average small square bale of alfalfa will range from 60 to 100 pounds and are approximately 15" tall by 18" wide by about 3' to 4' long. The height and width are not adjustable on balers, but the length is. I hope this is helpful.