simple question... weight gain

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rodeo75, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rodeo75

rodeo75 New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I have 2 young (around 3 months) boer 4-h goats. How do i get them to gain the weight they ned to gain. currently getting 2 buckets of medicated feed. small amounts of hay. they aer not gaining weight. HELP must weigh 65 lbs by sept 5. they currently weigh 27 and 31lbs.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    goats need 2% og their own weight to maintain condition..to gain any more the ration needs to be over 2% of their weight
    ex: 100lb goatneeds 2lbs to maintain weight.

also try some higher protein.

3. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    You need to have free choice hay in front of them at all times. Good quality roughage should be the basis of your feed program.

Two BUCKETS(!) of grain a day? You are begging for entero with that.

Plenty of clean fresh water, an 18% grain (but NOT buckets full) split up into multiple feedings, and a good quality hay that is refreshed/fluffed several times a day will increase their interest in eating and will get them going in the right direction.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I do not believe she said the SIZE of the buckets, so lets not assume it is the bucket size you call a bucket.

They also need to be on a good goat grain. A good feed is a Boer goat feed that will help them. Ask your local feed store that they would recommend.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    At 27 & 31lbs for 3mo old you have a challenge. Have they getting the same grain all along since you brought them home?
    Yes they need at least a 17% Boer Goat Feed specifially for meat.
    If you have to switch it up do it in 1/4 c increments at a time every couple of days until they are up to full ration. You can also try feeding 3 times a day instead of two (again gradually) especially if they've had thier CDT which helps prevent the entero but not completly failsafe.
    They also need lots & lots of good hay.
    Another thing you might want to check is if the feed pans are pretty clean...mine are always pawing through them so I have to scrub them often.

6. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    We NEVER EVER give our 4-H market goats free choice hay. It causes their rumens to grow thus making their stomachs larger. The breeder where I get ours from recommends absolutely NO hay whatsoever. She has champions everywhere she goes. I usually give ours a HANDFUL maybe once or twice a week just for a little roughage but that's it. I guess it's a preference but everyone I know who shows market goats feeds very little or no hay. I know Sarah (SDK) only gives hers a handful a couple of times a week as well.
    I've never heard of giving a 4-H market goat free choice hay :shrug:

7. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    That is what you want to happen. Proper rumen function allows goats to process as much nutrition from what they are eating as is available. A goat (any goat) is a ruminant, they are supposed to have a functional rumen. By limiting that developement, you are limiting the amount of nutrition a goat can take in at any one time. A developed rumen holds a lot more feed/roughage than an undeveloped one, allowing a goat to consume more on a daily basis-adding to your weight gain. Also, if you are going to be struggling to make weight, a healthy rumen that is full will add weight to your goat, and might just let you squeak by.

I raised a market wether every year in 4-H, and they were all fed on free choice good quality roughage and an 18% grain mix, and I never had one not make weight.

The vaccine for entero is not fool proof, all that grain is awfully hot. To me, it seems that's a recipe for disaster.

In one post, it already seems as if one of the kids is suffering from the beginnings of laminitis (walking on its knees). That is caused by the toxins produced when a goat is fed too much grain and not enough roughage to balance it out.

8. rodeo75

rodeo75 New Member

Jun 14, 2009
    sorry the buckets are small buckets.. about the size of a 2 1/2 gallon. Mama goat is still with them.. She leaves the 1st of july. I think what is happening is mama is eating most of the grain.

the feed they are on is a 17% medicated show goat. My feed mill makes this and has had the rate of gain champion in our county and 2 others for market goats.

Before we got them, they got all their shots and dewormed. The smaller of the two almost acts like he does not like to walk on his feet. He eats good and everything.

They get a good grass hay that i have for my horses and i give them a few handfulls once a day. The grain in the bucket gets filled in the morning and then refilled in the evening.

9. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ah HA! So Mama doe is pigging on it! I seperate all the young uns at feeding time so none of the dams can get to it.
    Your feed sounds good, dont change it...thats why one that came from here lost a lb a few days before weight time...the kids changed their feed.
    They are a little on the light side for their age but they could catch up by Sept.
    Especially if you can tie her up or something while they eat. Feed your portions so they clean it all up in 15 or 20 minutes. They will go through periods of rapid growth then seem to level out & and wham you get another growth spurt.
    If they woof it all down in a hurry add a wee bit more until they are closer to what they need.
    When my doelings (& the couple wethers we still have) start fiddling around with thier food I put them back in.

10. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Apparently we raise them different out here because every breeder I've talked to says NO HAY and that's how we've always done it. Rodeo was told no hay as well when they bought their goats. I would go with what that person told you. Our judges must like malnutritioned goats with non functioning undeveloped rumens since we've never had a goat lose its class.
    This is why you can't get good honest information along the show circuit. People ask for advice and someone has to go getting all testy about the advice given. I think I'll jump on that band wagon and shut my mouth right along with the rest of them. 40 years can't POSSIBLY be enough experience to help you so I'll sit back and wait for your end result :)

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't have "market" goats and I don't think my lil' mini's would fit the weight class questioned....but when babies are left with mom for extended periods here, I do take the moms away and feed the kids their ration separately, this way I know for sure that those kids are on track for growth.

As far as hay for a market goat, well, everyone has their own way of providing it....wether it be freechoice or rationed, with goats I think we all know that there is no wrong way to feed as long as the animal is healthy and happy. Not everyones plan and schedule is the same, what works for one breeder usually won't work for the next.

I do have to agree though that your kiddo's mom is eating their share as well.....and giving enough grain to be eaten up within 15 minutes by each kid sounds like a plan....and I personally would feed at minimum twice a day. And don't change feeds, yours sounds great for growing market goats. :wink:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    One thing to consider - is that many mixed feeds are what we call a TMR - Total Mixed Ration - in other words, the feed, be it a pellet or a grain mix, contains enough roughage to ensure adequate functioning of the rumen, without need for any other feed such as hay, pasture or browse. Now it could well be that JK, SDK and Rodeo are feeding such a feed ... and getting good results. I have at various times fed a TMR to various classes and types of livestock with good results.

Personally, I like giving them hay, I like them to have a longer roughage source to ruminate on, and yes, there is a good point there about rumen fill being a good tool to manipulate if you need to manipulate the weight of the goat. But I also know that you can feed a TMR without hay and get good results also.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...........that everyone has there own feeding methods...it is also called.... trial and error.... what works for one ........may not work for another.......and we cannot criticize or judge what another breeder is using or doing ...that may work for them .......with a goats rumen...it is a very crucial part .... health is key..... to a goats survival........ :hug:

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Right on Pam!

We are all passionate about our management styles. That is why I try to state what I do as an offer not as an issue.
    When I first got goats I followed my breeder's style to a T. After a few years I tweaked a little here & there as I learned more.
    Also Im a firm believer in doing what the goats former owners have always done.
    For instance we bought a dog & were told to feed Science Diet. They fed this to all their dogs. Not that Im pumping Science Diet, Im using this as an example. Any time we changed brands this dog got terribly dry skin. You see there were generations that were fed this & they did well on it.
    If said wethers never got much hay then simply dont feed them too much hay. Maybe the breeder knows something about these lines that you might not know.
    I have noticed things in my goats that maybe someone else wouldnt...I've had young uns grow incredibly fast and others who didnt bloom till they were yrlings.
    One bottle fed doe who was always on the small side is almost as big as her dam now as a 3 yr old.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks....nancy d... :hug: :thumbup: