The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3yo Saanen doe who had twins (with help from you folks during a rough delivery) this May has seemed to be in reasonably good health since then, apart from a louse problem which I dealt with, and also apart from the fact that she produces lots of milk (a bit over1 1/2 gallons daily before I deliberately stopped milking her out all the way) but stays thinner and rougher-coated than I like.

But last night and this morning she didn't finish her grain (still grazes, browses, eats hay well, and ate more than half of her grain), and this morning her milk was down (from 9-10 cups to just under 7) and her udder felt quite warm. Rectal temp 103.5 F, which is higher than usual for her, especially in the morning--though we have had steadily hot weather (highs only in the eighties, but lows don't get below the upper sixties and are often in the seventies) for a while now, besides high humidity and generally bad air (some smoke from the fires in Canada and out west). She isn't noticeably struggling to breathe and isn't coughing, but did have yellowish-white mucus visible inside one nostril. Eyes not cruddy/runny. I'm feeding her chives, echinacea, willow, and pine, and keeping an eye her, trying to decide what the threshold is for figuring she needs anitibiotics. (I have procaine, can get something better from the vets if need be.) Advice would be appreciated. I am still trying to figure out just where the line is between nervous and negligent.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,281 Posts
Certainly finding that line between not quite sick and treating can be a hard call. I think her symptoms warrent a deeper look.
Hows her famacha? Temp is normal although on the high end. Not eating well indicates she doesn't feel well. Hows her rumen noise and movement? Do you hear gasses and burps, see her chew her cud?
I would give her b complex and probiotics to start and recheck her temp. If famacha is pale she will need deworming and anemia support. A fecal of course would be ideal..but not always possible quick enough when the goat is ill. We can choose a broad spectrum dewormer if needed. But Start with a good check up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Cathy, and thanks to everyone. She's chewing her cud just fine and smells as though she's passing gas normally, and she behaved normally enough through the day so I hoped she was fine, but tonight her appetite is worse and her temp is up to 105.6, and her herdmate's is 104.3 (and herdmate's milk is also down). So I think it's time for treatment... after I get into town and get syringes tomorrow, having stupidly forgotten to restock after using my last ones on a sick pig... I have B complex, banamine, procaine, and liquamycin la-200 on hand. Is LA-200 a reasonable treatment for potential pneumonia? If so, what dosage do you use? And do I remember correctly that banamine can be given subQ, though the local (not very helpful) vet says it should be given IV?
Her eyelids are a medium to pale pink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Also could you get your hands on Draxxin? It's a rx that my vet gave and it's supposed to be good for lungs, not sure about la200 as I've not used that yet, could be fine!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,281 Posts
Yes..banamine is sub q. 1 cc per 100 pounds. La 200 is ok. Not the best choice but since you have it..try it. 1 cc per 20 pounds once a day for 7 days. If after a few days she doesn't seem to perk up...ask your vet for Nuflor (3 cc per 100 # once a day for 5 to 7 days or Draxxin.(expensive!! 1 cc per 100 pounds sub q..2 shots 7 days apart)
As for her famacha..sounds like she could use a bit of support there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JoannaHoyt

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Ask if they'll just give you the dosing needed for draxxin, it is more expensive but less shots to do! I was able to get just a needle with the correct dosing so, it's worth a try! And you won't be buying a whole bottle but like happybleats said maybe you want to try the la-200 since you already have it on hand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Karen Salvagno and all of you moderators, thank you for what you do.
I have another, likely stupid, question: Should I dump today's milk from both goats (the one who seemed iffy this morning and clearly sick tonight and also the one who seemed fine this morning but iffy and too hot tonight)? I do know I'll need to dump the milk as soon as I start giving the antibiotic and for 4 days after I'm done.
Thank you again.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top