Since we're investigating color patterns . . .

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Jan 21, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    So I was looking through all of sparks879 links on the chamoisee thread, and it got me wondering. What would you call Midge's color pattern . . . is she a belted cou clair? She is an unregistered ND and a sweetheart, so it's totally irrelevant -- just for fun!

Attached Files:

2. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I did a double take when I saw your picture, at first I was like how did she get a picture of Paintbrush then I noticed a few differences, like your goat has ears, :doh: is younger and not as big.

I do not know what her pattern is called but love to know as I have one almost just like her.

[​IMG]

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I was told mine is a broken cou clair with spots... I have also heard it called a banded cou clair. So I would like to know as well, although, I think I already asked here...

[​IMG]

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I don't have a clue. Just wanted to say they're all beautiful! I like the tri color banding, very pretty.

Deb Mc

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Oh wow! I'm not certain, but they are GORGEOUS :D I really really love the coloring.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup broken cou clair or belted cou clair depending on the variation of the broken pattern

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those are some great examples

thanks for posting

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Nice goats! They are beauties! I am so glad this thread got started...now maybe I can define mine! I have a broken buckskin (which I love) and I'll have to find out the others...

10. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for confirming what the three of us had :)

Anybody else have another color pattern they're not sure of even after looking at the links?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its also called two toned chamoisee too -- forgot to mention that

12. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    its also called two toned chamoisee too -- forgot to mention that

. . . the confusion returns . . . is it that a lot of these color patterns sort of overlap/blend into one another?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no just different common names for one genetic pattern

14. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thank you, I was not real sure what to call her. I have also bookmarked that site, that will come in handy later on.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay, so mine is a belted cou clair with spots... Kewl... The belted means the white goes completely around. Gotcha.

I want to have a whole herd colored like mine! I love this color pattern. But if I can't describe it, then it makes it hard for me to find more like her.

16. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I'm told she's a broken cou clair

Attached Files:

17. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Oh yeah! I'm pretty sure some of mine are expressing more than one pattern at once, via either phaeomelanic leakage or voodoo :D

[​IMG]
    Picture doesn't show it well, but her brown is all different shades throughout - almost like roaning, but no actual white hairs.

[​IMG]
    Almost entirely white except she has faint brownish shading on her head, and a blue(grey) stripe. Could be leaking through from her sire who was grey, but no idea where the brown is coming from!

[​IMG]

Looks like Togg pattern, except her base is clearly red and not brown/tan. But Swiss markings are lighter.

[​IMG]

Possibly the elusive Sable allele hiding under the Boer pattern??

18. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    This is an old thread, but my busy Bee I think is a broken Chamoisee/buckskin.

19. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Oops, didn't check dates. We HAVE been discussing color patterns elsewhere so I thought it was relevant :p