Sinead isn't herself still

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Feb 8, 2010.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok So as most of you know Sinead had pregnancy toxemia and I had to induce her and she aborted the kids Sunday Morning 1am. I gave her Dex friday evening and it made her eat great for a while. Chowing down on hay like no tomorrow. Well now she isn't eating again. Her edema on her stomach is gone, she passed her placenta between 2-5pm the other day. Temp is normal. I put her on antibiotics anyways yesterday just because she has been so off and the the dex takes down ones immune system.

I'm beginning to think there might be something internally wrong with her and that's why she couldn't carry to term and isn't eating.

The vet has been really awesome, calling every day to get progress reports.

I'm just :whatgoat: :GAAH: :hair: :sigh:

I've given her nutridrench molasses+karo+whiskey mix. ProBios.

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    How long does it take for the toxemia to pass? Is it just residual not feeling well from that? SHe's been through a lot.

3. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    How is she drinking? I read somewhere flushing the toxins out of the body is important. Also, could she be depressed or are your instincts or what your seeing telling you what you said here?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just instincts really. Also the Dex made her eat really good, but now that it's worn off she isn't eating good again. It makes me think there is something else going on. With all the food she ate friday evening and all of saturday she should have corrected some of her imbalances.

Really her main issue was Hypocalcemia. She never had any ketones in her urine, so we were never really sure it was actually pregnancy toxemia.

Now that she isn't supporting any kids and only supplying for herself I would think she would be doing better. She is still drinking. Just not eating and she wont touch grain.

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hmmm? Maybe more time to process everything, so she feels like eating again?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would give her a VIT B12 shot. That should help her. Also yogurt if she will eat it or probias

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I gave her 6cc fortified B-complex, probios, iron supplement and Nich Quick start paste.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She is shivering like crazy now despite a coat I put on her a couple hours ago. I also gave her another 50cc calcium per my vet advice. Cause if they are low in calcium they can shiver too.

9. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Did you also worm her ? Take a temp to see where she is at. Praying she will be ok.

10. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I am sorry to hear that she isn't feeling well yet. My friend had a nigerian get sick just recently. She wasn't due until March, however they felt that she too had toxemia. She had a C-Section on Sunday, delivered 3 dead kids. My friend just texted me that they just lost her too.

As a newbie, is there any signs of toxemia before it gets to the point where it is dangerous? Kinda like "bed rest" for humans? Are more breeds predisposed to it then others? The reason I ask, is because we have two Nubians that are due in March. This will be our first kidding, so we are a bit scared now.

Again, I'm sorry about Sinead, and hope she pulls out of it. Any advise or signs you can give would be a great reference for my 4H kids so that they know what to watch for.

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ashley...I am so very sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Sinead. I hope she comes around and gets back on track.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ashley, I am so sorry she is not doing any better. What about hot molasses water? How about the Coffee, Whiskey and Karo Syrup mix? DO you have a heat lamp you can put on her?

I will be praying for her.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She's had all of that, But it's not her temp. Her temp is 101.. so normal. It's something else.

14. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Sorry to here Sinead is still not feeling well, I hope she feels better soon.

Could she have a touch of bloat, were you said she ate quite a bit of hay, if she wasn't eating to much before, maybe it was to much at once. Is she pooping ok?
    Just a thought
    Barb

15. B12 liquid can be gotten at the drug store, I would give that with the b complex. you can give that orally too. If you have done all this and still feel there is something wrong I would take her in for blood work. It may still be her sugar levels and she may in fact need to be checked on a regular basis. Just a thought.

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She's still shivering like mad, she's got a nice bed of straw to lay on and a coat on her. Dunno whats up. Not bloat since her stomach isn't big and she got Karo so i doubt it's her sugar level. Temp is normal, so it's not physical cold. Also gave her warm Lactated Ringers SQ.

17. Could it be her sugar is too high? Or going up and crashing. I know when my sugar is wacky I can eat like a horse but it comes down SO fast.

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Have you given her any CMPK? It will give her whole sysem a boost. I would give her one hundred cc's an hour for three hours and see what happens.

19. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    How is your girl this am?

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She's still around, yelling at me, but still shivering a bit.