Single kid's affect on udder?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PixieDustHollow, Nov 14, 2007.

1. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    Val is nursing her singleton, Vinnie(6 weeks). He nurses off both sides, but one is way smaller than the other. Weird part is that I see him nursing off the other(bigger) side more.
    I do not milk her, nor do I plan on it. Teats are way too small and close to the ground, even on a stand.
    Her udder isn't hot or red. Just lopsided. And very hairy haha.

[​IMG]

So, is this normal?

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    No I don't think it's normal. I'd milk her if I were you.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i would check the bigger side to make sure there is milk coming out. just because he is on there dosen't mean it is working. some times you have to milk some out to get the oriffice open for them.

4. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I agree with the others, but I would check both sides to make sure milk is comming out of both teats. If there is milk there I would milk the larger side down. You may only have to do this once or twice.

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Is she a pygmy? She looks like it and her udder looks alot like the pygmies I had. They are not noted for wonderful udders and in the ring don't need it. When she dries off it will go back to normal and will udder up fine again but when she starts nursing it will likely look the same as above. Everyone of the pygmies I had looked very similer if not identical to the picture above when nursing. Even the ones with triplets.

6. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    She is a pygmy. The do have some funky udders lol.

She does have milk coming out of both lobes, he has a milk mustache every time I see him eating, no matter the side.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    NO it is totally normal. If the baby is nursing of the larger side more, then that side will make more milk, to replace what is being taken. That is just nature. If the baby doesn't nurse off one side much it will not have to replace it, and her body will just NOT make as much for that side.
    I hate to say it like this, but when I nursed my son, he would not hardly nurse on one side at all, so that side was rarely ever totally full. (sorry, the best way I had to describe it).

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had this exact same thing happen to Bootsie after she had a single buckling...it is totally normal...I DO milk my girls after the kids leave and it was difficult to get her back to being even after Wrangler left. The side used most WILL be bigger than the side used occassionally. BTW...Bootsie is pygmy/nigi and was giving a quart a day til I dried her off a few weeks ago. She was still uneven then and her production was not up to par with a single as had been in previous kiddings with twins and triplets...TLC and good quality feed and browse got her where I needed her to be. Your little doe is a normal mom to a single, nothing to worry about unless you plan on milking her...then you may have difficulties as the longer she nurses her kid the production will slow down as he starts eating more on his own then it's hard to get her production up again as she is ready to wean.