The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have yall found it that single kids are a more "serious" than multiples?

All the singular births Ive had here have been more quiet and reserved vs kids who have had a sibling to play with

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I never really thought about it. We've had a few singles, but three of them were born at a time when their were others kids born within days and they were all together and acted like siblings, so hard to tell there.

But this year we had a single doeling and she was definately more reserved than the rest. Even though we played with them all every day from the moment they were born, and all the rest are as friendly as can be, she never was. She was super calm; if you held her in your lap shed stay there all day, but she got to where she wouldn't let us walk up to her even. It was strange.
We thought for a while it was because her dam is a little skittish -though not much- and maybe she learned it from her. But she almost seemed to get more shy as she got older, even once she was weaned.

So I'm thinking you're probably right, and singles are more reserved.
Interesting topic!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
We have a little single buckling who for some reason is afraid of people :confused: So it does make him quieter and more reclusive. But this year we also had a momma's boy twin who never wanted to be around anyone!

The first year we had a single buck, and he was the wildest, craziest boy. He wanted to jump and play on people because that was all he had to play with until the new kids were born two weeks later.

I guess it does seem true, in a way, because they are lonelier and have less kids to do exactly what they want to do. Siblings tend to have more of a bond.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It's probably true in more cases than not. I would think it depends almost entirely on how many kids their age are around when they are little, and maybe the dam's temperament as well. Probably a few other factors that I can't think of right now. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts