size for pymgys

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by tat2edlady, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    I am think about getting a herd of pymgys the lady that is selling them said one of her bucks is only like 16" to 17" tall is he in the right range? I think she was working on making mini pymgys and most for the does are under 24" tall.

Any info will help like where to get the standards for them and can they be reg. like my ND and how would I go about finding that info..

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    One of my does is 17 in. and my weather is 21. They should be fine.

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Guest

Jan 18, 2009
    cool I was kinda like I have cats that are bigger than that little buck.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    May I ask what kind of cats? :shocked: LOL!

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The standard for NPGA are 16-22 inches for does and I think 16-23.5 inches for bucks. Here's the NPGA site, the main one where Pygmy goats are registered. http://npga-pygmy.com/

You can register them but it is an extensive and expensive process that involves progeny testing. I believe the doe has to have two or three sets of kids by different, registered sires. It's pretty complicated and probably not worth it. It's simpler and cheaper to just start out with registered animals. I've seen the prices drop considerably on Pygmy goats, at least in our area. Even the registered "show quality" Pygmies are selling for pretty cheap, well, what I consider cheap. :)

The standards and progeny testing information can be found on the NPGA web link above. Hope that helps! :)