size of disbudding tip you use for nigerians??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by pelicanacresMN, Jan 30, 2010.

1. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I have the rhinehart x50 disbudding iron. I have the smaller size tip for my nigerians which worked great last year. One buck developed a scur though & I'm curious if I were to use a regular goat sized tip on bucks if that would lessen the chance for scurs or should I just stick with what I have & accept that scurs on bucks are going to happen.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I never use a X50 on Nigerians. I had a vet use it on three of my goats once when I was just learning and her messed them up real bad. Their whole heads swelled up to. I would never use that iron again, even with a tip, but thats just me.

I use a x30 and it works fine but the bucks do love to get scurs in the front, so I've been trying to burn like I usually do and then another half moon further forward on their head.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I have an X40 with a goat tip that I use on my regular size kids. I've also used it on a friends Nigerian kids.

4. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    I use the X50A and I have a smaller tip. I bought the tip for nigerians and did not even try it, it was too small in diameter. I purchased the standard goat tip and I haven't had any trouble at all.

I did get the buck tip as recommended from lady who has raised goats for years. I just started using it and seems to be working fine. I just do have a long term evaluation. It might be the answer to the scur issue for you. It's pretty large at base and I wouldn't recommend it to use on very small kids. Remember this is with knowledge of disbudding. I would not tell a beginner to go out and try this.

This is just my opinion and I like this iron. Keeps heat very well and thats a must.

Connie

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I used a rhinehart x30 disbudding iron on my kids in the fall of 09'. It work out great! My first time doing it too.
    I did two doelings and buckling who's horn buds were above hair line. They all were successful no scurs.