The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a F3 Mini Mancha she is 56% LaMancha. I am concerned with her size. She is the size of my Nigerians. Would her size be concerning? I am use to my minis being bigger. I have a buck that is related to the doe, he is MUCH larger than her. Easily 2 times her size. She is bred.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Hello & welcome @Honey_Gunner - I'm so sorry your post got missed for several days, that doesn't usually happen!

Could you tell us how old your mini-Mancha is? How much does she weigh? Are you able to post photos of her for us?

I'm not super familiar with the mini-dairy breeding, so I'm not clear why they would not be 50% LaMancha but many other breeders here know that side!

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Are you concerned she is too small for the kids? What is she bred to?
I had a mini Lamacha (74% Lamancha ) who was barely larger then my nigies. She did great every single time. It really depends how strong each breed comes through. Does should be no taller than 27 inches, bucks 29 inches according to the MDGA. They don't say how small is too small. Getting the % of offspring is not fun! Hurts my brain!! But you can see how they do it along with other requirements on this web sight.
https://miniaturedairygoats.net/

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
73 pounds seems fair!

She does appear narrow in frame but I wouldn't get overly worried about kidding with being bred to another mini-mancha. Any idea the weight of previous kids thrown by that particular buck?

It looks like maybe she lost some weight from the stress of the move but she obviously has access to fantastic hay and will get back to her normal self. Is your herd bullying her as a newcomer as all?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea on the weight of the kids. The previous breeder pen bred, and let them kid/take care of the kids with little intervention.

She did, dropped down to 65 lbs. Weighed her this afternoon. I had her in a quarantine pen, where she had access to hay and mineral. However she kept clearing the pen to get to the other does. After she cleared a 7 foot fence, we just let her stay with the herd. Thankfully I know the herd she came from is a clean tested herd. At first everyone was not sure about her. Now they are all getting along. She's getting plenty of hay & mineral. Along with getting a small amount of grain morning and night.

I just pulled blood to send out for disease testing and pregnancy testing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blood test came back negative for disease and she is open. She has been running with a buck since September.

What could be some possible reasons as to why she is not getting pregnant?
She is not in the best condition. She has been devouring the mineral.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Well mineral deficiencies can cause fertility issues. A bit more common in bucks than does though. If all the breeder's does were running with the buck since September , quite a few should have kidded by now. Were there kids on the ground there when you bought her? If no, I'd suspect the buck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No babies on the ground with the mini lamanchas. Babies with the mini nubians though. I seen 3 does that were clearly pregnant. Huge stomachs, udders developed. That was out of 10-15 does in the pen with the buck.
The only thing they were fed was alfalfa, no mineral.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyway to test for all the possible abortion diseases with out a vet? We do not have a local vet. I would have to haul her 2 hours one way for a vet to see her.

I will work on getting her in better health. I have had to refill the mineral bucket 3 times since I brought her home. Her skin is really dry & flaky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another question regarding my 2 y/o Nigerian dwarf. She's pregnant day 145 today. Her vulva is swollen. But not normal lengthening like she's getting ready. Should I be concerned? The swelling is only getting worse the longer she's pregnant. She is prolapsing when she's laying down. Could that pressure be causing the swelling?
Picture of the swelling.
upload_2020-2-29_7-30-4.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a better picture this morning. She's still pregnant. I'm concerned with the swelling on the upper right side of her vulva.
20200301_065027.jpg

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
she may have a weak perineal area causing things to bulge. For a slight prolapse, a carrot and celery juice can help. Juice equal parts and dose 30 cc a few times a day.

Reactions: GoofyGoat
1 - 20 of 27 Posts