size of wooden spools?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I finally found a place that has some wooden spools that I can have for toys for my goats. I will be having Nigerian Dwarf goats.

My question: I got some small spools (2 ft. high) but want some taller ones. I can get some that are 4 feet high. Is that too high? Would the goats try to jump off them and get hurt? I wanted to put two spools about eight feet apart and put a wooden bridge (using like a 2x6 or such) between them for the goats to walk across.

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    The boer kids jump off the 4 ft high spools without problems. I would think is long is the goat can jump up by it's self it would do fine jumping down by it self. Shelly

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    We have all sorts of spool sizes. All the goats love them. You can put small next to large. Make SURE to secure the holes so no legs get traped and broken! I did see where someone had cut out a few of the upright boards in teh large spools so the goats could go inside them. I love that idea but have not gotten around to doing any yet. :) We just screwed a piece of plywood over the holes.

4. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    They couldn't possibly jump up onto these. We were going to make a ramp for them to climb up - that's why I'm concerned about them being up there and then jumping off from that height.

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    O.k. How about putting them on there side and running board between two. It would look like a wagon with ramps running up. Someone did this and there was a picture. Shelly