size?

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Gear' started by shawneesas, Jul 8, 2014.

1. shawneesas

shawneesas New Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I e two alpine does, about two years old. They are doing a pack contest at the fair in a few weeks (We don't expect them to win, but we need to do two events so...) we need to get packs, and we were planning on just getting some dog packs from ebay. wha t size should we get? they weigh around 70-80 pounds.

2. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    I would PM Jill, her handle here is Goathiker she is a font of knowledge on the subject!

3. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I agree, she's a goat packing genius.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Attached Files:

5. simeo

simeo Member

Aug 3, 2013
  6. goathiker

Usually no more than about 8 lbs. This boy is not yet 2 so he was carrying our first aid and trauma kits which are maybe 4 pounds altogether.

7. simeo

simeo Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you. I figured probably less than 10 pounds. What does he weigh?

8. goathiker

He's about 130. He should mature out right at 200 lbs. He's my DH rescue project so, he may surprise us with better care.

9. simeo

simeo Member

Aug 3, 2013
    That'll be a nice big boy! 200lb bucks are not incredibly common around here except as pure meat boar goats. Every other breed of buck/wether we've seen around here is about 150lb to 180lb max.

10. goathiker

He's a go getter too. We're really leased with everything but, his habit of beating on my younger pack baby. He'll out grow that when he realizes that the food doesn't run out.

11. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    I like Jills advice. Normal goat pack saddles dont usually start fitting goats correctly until they are around the 120 lbs mark. So the dog packs are great to use till then. Id suggest no more then 10% of their body weight in their packs. If they are in hiking condition then maybe up to 15% but that might be a bit much for such small does.

12. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Hey Jill, did you bring your goaties to the rendy? And if so did you get them weighed by Taffy? One of Idaho Nancy's was 270 lbs! and 38 1/2 inches at the shoulder :0

13. goathiker

Yep, we brought them and no I didn't get over to Taffy's. We ended up camping one space too far over and had to spend all day Friday moving 2 camps into one rather barren camp that needed built into a real space. I do already know what my boys weigh though as the feed elevator will let us put them on the scale. Have you not seen my camping thread? http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f193/annie-gunner-go-camp-169030/