Skat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 10, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    skat is a 9 year old 75%

she was looking off last night when I got home. this morning i went out there and she was in the extra dog /goat house in their pen..where she usually sleeps. she didnt want to get up so I took the top off the house and lifted her up and pulled her out. she didnt want to stand....so naturally i picked her up, and she started walking to the water trough. she seems depressed, no appetite, trembling (although its hot outside 70F), and she isnt her usual 'let-me-at-that-grain' self.

now I'm thinking White Muscle, or possibly CAE (she hasnt been tested yet, and she's pretty old)...I checked her eyelids and they could probably use another dose of Ivomec. any thoughts would be very nice!!!!
    one problem though- my therm. doesnt work.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Being that she is 9 years old... and had no previous signs or symptoms...it might not be CAE .....

When she did walk to the water trough...was she stiff legged or how was her gate?

Could she may of goat slammed hard by another goat?

You should get her temp? I recommend that you go buy a thermometer...so we can narrow down... what we are dealing with... :hug: :(

Could it possibly be milk fever?

:hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she's the largest/oldest goat in the pen..so I dont suspect she was rammed.

When she walked she was a bit stiff, and she stretched her legs before she layed down again.

Milk fever could be it...
    I'm going to go to the feed store today and i'll pick up another thermometer.
    I have 'Goats Prefer Keto Nia Drench' I'll give her a dose of that and 'Nutri Drench'

good point on the CAE. her knees weren't swollen.

Thank you pam.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Could it be that her fried just died? just a thought.

I would give nutra Drench and vit B12 or B Complex.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    her and zephyr were never together, as skat wasnt tested yet. she is in with 5 month old wethers, they all get along fine.

CMPK- would that work? for milk fever

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yep, I would get the CMPK into her, I have my suspicions that she has one of the metabolic disorders, hypocalcaemia, ketosis etc. Is she pregnant or lactation and what stage?

In any case, the CMPK wont hurt

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i have no clue if she preg.. no udder though. shes been running w/bucks her whole life until now.

well we hit a heat RECORD for our area--- 85F :shocked: i'm melting! could this be affecting her?

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    whoah okay yes, I'd say its the heat and she's got a bit of heatstroke and dehydration. Fluid and electrolyte therapy, try to keep her somewhere in the shade.

Is she sterile?

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    No, I think she's had PLENTY of kids. lol...being with a buck for so long. and her bag is droppy so I can tell she's had at least 1 kidding .

i just checked her and it's 60F and its going to get alot warmer (hottest summer in ever)...she hasnt moved from last night. she's laying on her breastbone which is good, but shivering, so i'm going to give more Keto Nia, and B12 since she has no appettite

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you get a temp on her yet?

Then we will know... if she has high temp or sub temp?

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm I wonder if shock is setting in after a heat stroke. I would see about some banamine ifpossible.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well I got my new therm. i was cleaning it off and accidentally tapped it against the sink. so i had to use ours...which is now the goats. lol

her temp = 100.4 which I freaked out, that's low.
    so I went a disenfected it and took the temp of two more healthy goats...Zenith 100.9 and Vanilla 100.7

so compared to my other goats she's normal..is it weird that theyre all low? the clouds just rolled in and i think its going to stay around 60 F

i gave her 30cc of Keto Nia.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hmm..... :scratch:

No fever and 2 other goats are the same sub temp .........odd.....

OK........it could be a tummy ache her rumen may be off.... give probiotic paste for at least 3 days or longer and baking soda..... :hug:

If that is the case ....she should start improving.. by the next day....
    Do not grain her now .......until she gets better..........

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay..i gave her probios plus when i took a temp.

thank you! hopefully shell start improving...

any thoughts on the other two goats with low temps?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hmm........I never heard of such a thing.....and they are not showing any signs of illness...
    That is very difficult to answer......It is a mystery and a shock to me..... :scratch: :hug:
    Keep an eye on them though...

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah they're all playing, jumping, eating, drinking and acting like kids for sure. :scratch:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is very strange... I ...would of been really shocked :shocked: like you were... to see there temps.. were all a little sub....especially on a warm day ...such as that in Alaska.....It's mind boggling :scratch: :hug:

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'd say the thermometer is a bit inaccurate :wink:

With no appetite, I start them on injectable SQ glucose plus injectable electrolytes and if necessary saline also