Skin condition

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Myakkagoater, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    My little doeling, Cookie, who is about 4 months old that I have has so much trouble with got out this evening while I was feeding. I caught her and gave her a good rubbing and noticed her ears were extremely hard and underneath they were scabbed and dried out. When I flipped them over I noticed the thickness of her ears were much thicker then normal. So her ears are puffy and quite scabby underneath. They also seem to be quite sensitive as well. Both are the same way. I checked her brother and his were fine. I checked her moms udder and it was a bit dry but nothing out of the ordinary. We are in an extreme dry spell here. I cleaned them up a bit and used some of the wifes MTG on them. Any other ideas. Please don't say take her to the vet. I can't afford anymore vet bills this year. We just had a $400 colic bill.
    THis is also the little girl that got sick and broke off one of her horn about 2 months ago. It seems that there is something always wrong with her. I wish santa clause would bring me a new camera so I could post some pics of her ears so that you all could see.

As usual still learning Goat

Tom

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My first thought would be ear mites or a fungus.......you can use VetRX, or a bit of mineral oil for mites or try athletes foot cream if fungus...hard to say without seeing a pic.

3. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    Something kinda like that happens to our dogs, horses, and goats in the summer.. In our caSe it's black flies biting them.. I mix a bit of citrinella oil and tea tree oil together and then rub it in real good. It heals up pretty fast and the flies go away but I really don't think thats the case for you if it's cold.
    I don't think it would be ear mites because they tend to stay to the inner ear but fungis is possible. I would try like cdtrum said and use an antifungal cream or spray it with iodine every few hours and see it that clears it up at all.

4. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I am going to clean and put more MTG on it fot the night. I am worried because of the swelling.

Tom

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Depending on your weather.....with the swelling, what about frost bite?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...what has your temps been like?

7. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    We live in central FLorida. Other then 2 days of barely mid 30's it has been warm. Don't think it's frostbite. I gave her a real good cleaning last night. I have coated her areas with MTG 3 times now. I also gave her 1 cc of Ivermec. I am going to keep putting MTG on her and lets hope this cures the ailment.

Tom

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she does have ear mites, the swelling could be from her scratching at it with a dirty hoof, the area could be infected. Check for heat besides the swelling, if there is infection, you'll need to clean the area with either a betadine or iodine solution, drying it well and then apply a triple antibiotic cream or even neosporin.

If the MTG is used for fungal infections, it should show improvement within a week, you may still want to clean the area well though.

9. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Liz.
    I used an iodine based shampoo to clean her last night. I actually put her in our tub and she got a complete bath. Needless to say she asolutely hated it. But She got clean, real clean. She then got dried off and was left in the bathroom for about an hour finishin drying. I removed all of the little scabs that were hangig off her skin. She then got the MTG. Time will tell I think. I have applied MTG twice per day so far. Can't really tell if it is working or not yet. I am going to keep it up for a few more days and will see.

Tom

10. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Well, Cookie, Orie and Bucky all seemed to not be improving. I was scared that they might transfer whatever it is to the rest of the herd. I gave them to a girl down the road who has the money to take them to the vet to try to remedy their ailment. She will give all 3 a good home. She can't wait for Orie to have her kids in late Feb. I had mixed emotions about the whole thing but I think it was the right thing to do.

TOm