The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently began raising goats. We love them and do all we can to keep them healthy and happy. One of our young breeding males (Ozzy) is such a character. But he has recently developed some bumps around both nostrils. They aren't open or weepy. They aren't sore at all and don't seem to bother him in any way. They are hairless and look basically like bald, irregular bumps of relatively normal seeming skin around the lower edge and sides of his nostrils. Of course we are watching and hoping it doesn't become worse for the poor fellow, but anything people can share that may have experienced this would be greatly appreciated. If its something that progresses we want to catch and treat asap. Plus learn for the health and well being of all our animals. Thank you all in advance. (Pic attached)

Attachments

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Hmm, my first thought from your description was a staph infection. But that doesn't look like staph to me. Just from the photo I would guess sore mouth. But I don't have any experience with that...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, my first thought from your description was a staph infection. But that doesn't look like staph to me. Just from the photo I would guess sore mouth. But I don't have any experience with that...
Thank you for that input. We will isolate him and monitor just in case. I can't find info or pics of "early stage" sore mouth. It doesn't quite seem to fit as it stands.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Recently began raising goats. We love them and do all we can to keep them healthy and happy. One of our young breeding males (Ozzy) is such a character. But he has recently developed some bumps around both nostrils. They aren't open or weepy. They aren't sore at all and don't seem to bother him in any way. They are hairless and look basically like bald, irregular bumps of relatively normal seeming skin around the lower edge and sides of his nostrils. Of course we are watching and hoping it doesn't become worse for the poor fellow, but anything people can share that may have experienced this would be greatly appreciated. If its something that progresses we want to catch and treat asap. Plus learn for the health and well being of all our animals. Thank you all in advance. (Pic attached)
Is he rubbing his nose on something? Do you give a good loose mineral? Maybe adding zinc to his diet might help? Is there a sticker or something irritating in there possibly?

If it were sore mouth i would think that it would have progressed more by now and someone else would also have it. And if my brain is remembering correctly sore mouth looks like fever blisters pretty much.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,061 Posts
Is he peeing on his face a lot? I would suspect urine scald, but it doesn't exactly look like that either.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It looks like he may have some baldness around his eyes, too? If so, I would suspect that he may have a copper deficiency. I have never heard of copper deficiency causing issues like the bumps around his mouth, but I know that copper does boost their immune system, so low copper levels could make him more susceptible to other issues.
I have learned to watch for zinc deficiency in bucks. I don't know whether it's just a deficiency in my soil, but I have a buck who struggles with zinc deficiency. His manifests in a general lethargy, a hunched up stance, and, bizarrely, balding testicles. Sometimes, his testicles look a little bit bumpy and scaly. Not quite what you're seeing on your buck's face, but similar. You might try giving your guy some zinc, and see if it helps. Zinc is another good immune booster, so would probably help him deal with a secondary issue, if zinc deficiency is not the direct cause of the bumps you're seeing around his mouth.
If I'm remembering right, copper and zinc are antagonists, meaning that they cancel each other out. So you might want to try giving one, wait a few weeks to see if you notice any improvement, and then give the other.
Does his coat look good? Is it rough, or does the hair have a bleached look? Do you notice any bald spots on any of the rest of his body? Do the insides of his eyelids look good and pink?

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
I've seen this many times here in the dampness of the NW. It's actually a fungus. It takes this form or causes tiny bald spots all over their face and white spots on their nose.
I use Tri-care or Providine ointment to heal it up.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've seen this many times here in the dampness of the NW. It's actually a fungus. It takes this form or causes tiny bald spots all over their face and white spots on their nose.
I use Tri-care or Providine ointment to heal it up.
Oh, interesting! We've had certain ones that get it every year, usually the bucks. Zinc and vitamin c seemed to clear it up, but we never did know what it was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is he rubbing his nose on something? Do you give a good loose mineral? Maybe adding zinc to his diet might help? Is there a sticker or something irritating in there possibly?

If it were sore mouth i would think that it would have progressed more by now and someone else would also have it. And if my brain is remembering correctly sore mouth looks like fever blisters pretty much.
I totally agree with your thoughts re soremouth. We checked to make sure there wasn't anything stuck in his lips or nose. Its possible, I suppose, that he was poked with a thistle within the alfalfa maybe. We give a powdered mineral supplement, tailored for goats, that contains minerals needed. We were putting grain in a large rubber bowl, but the smaller animals lower in the pecking order were getting gyped. So we were putting some small piles of grain on the ground also so that they all could get a fair share. What we suspect is that our buck with the issue has been snuffeling around on the frozen ground to get every bit of grain. This may be a contributor to the peculiarity. Anyway, we stopped this practice just in case and the hairless bumps seem to have diminished some. Definately not getting worse anyway. Your suggestion about him possibly rubbing his nose on something gave us pause for thought. Thank you for your help and advice. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all who have posted the helpful advice. Your knowledgeable, experienced feedback is invaluable and GREATLY appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, interesting! We've had certain ones that get it every year, usually the bucks. Zinc and vitamin c seemed to clear it up, but we never did know what it was.
Ranger1, we will definately try this. Had been a bit warmer off and on the last couple of weeks causing some melt and dampness. With him snuffeling around in it for grain it makes sense. Will stop putting grain on the ground and will get that ointment. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts