The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pet doe May was really itchy (scratching herself all the time) and starting with thinning fur/dandruff on her neck.
We treated her with ivermectin pour on and a few days later ultraboss pour on.
Then noticed she was chewing at her belly. In the middle of her belly we discovered is a bald strip with spots and sores on it. We started spraying blu kote on it every day and put nustock on it and on her neck as well.
Then it showed up next to her teats (her udder is empty). Thick, rough feeling skin that is irritated. She scratches at it.
So we started daily treatments spraying chlorhexidine spray and putting on nu stock.
Does anyone have an tips or ideas on what this is? We are trying to avoid ivermectin shots but we can if necessary.
This all happened recently she did not have this in winter. It started once it heated up outside and the biting bugs, etc started up.
pic2.jpeg

pic1.jpeg

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you are using the ivermectin pour on you won't need to do the shots. My vet said use it 3 times -I think it is 10 to 14 days apart for mites. (If you think that is the problem ) On that sore looking skin I would try aloe if the nu stock isn't doing it - I have a girl who gets bad skin this time of year and that is always my first. Also I have used lots of petroleum jelly on damaged looking skin. It looks like it must be sore. Hope some of what you are doing is helping her.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. So we originally started treating with blu-kote and nu-stock daily and then switched to chlorhexidine spray daily. Then we switched to vetericyn hydrogel spray 1 time a day (it says it works on staph) which we have been doing for about a week now. We also did another dose of ivermectin pour on down her back/neck and I have put nustock on her neck where the fur is thinning. Also gave her another 4 grams of copper (she had one a couple months ago too).

The original spot in the first pic I posted is gone. However she still has the bald strip on her belly that is spotted with scabs now (which is good right?). And she has a sore on her udder. It is partly scabbed but not completely. Here are some pics from yesterday (this is before I put on the gel spray):

IMG_20200428_195929325.jpg

(The purple is old blukote)
IMG_20200428_195616655.jpg

She is still pretty itchy despite all the treatment. The only good sign is the scabs on some of the sores.

So my question is how long should we try the vetericyn? I don't want to start ivermectin and penicillin shots unless we have to. Could it be staph? It's not pustules it's sores and balding....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I put nustock on it yesterday. She goes CRAZY (bucking and kicking) even on the stand when you touch her belly (and don't even think about her udder). She was already a high-strung goatie. So I repeat in 3 days? I hope this works.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you already stripped out all her bedding? It looks like everywhere she is scabbing is what touches the ground when she lays down. Not sure if that's true, but it might help.
While I do think that could be the cause, unfortunately she doesn't really have bedding. They all lay in the pasture. They do like to sleep/lay a lot near the (now empty) hay feeders. There is old hay on the ground in that area, but also dirt...and it's surrounded by grass. I'm just not sure how to clean it like you would a stall or barn.
But, if we did try to rake that one spot out, what would you recommend we put on the ground? Lime or something? Remember, this is in a pasture outside.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
While I do think that could be the cause, unfortunately she doesn't really have bedding. They all lay in the pasture. They do like to sleep/lay a lot near the (now empty) hay feeders. There is old hay on the ground in that area, but also dirt...and it's surrounded by grass. I'm just not sure how to clean it like you would a stall or barn.
But, if we did try to rake that one spot out, what would you recommend we put on the ground? Lime or something? Remember, this is in a pasture outside.
Hmm in that case I would just scrape old hay up to get rid of moisture and that's it. Do you notice if she has a particular spot she beds down? My does each seem to have a designated favorite although they do mix it up. If she is one that is always laying on the old hay, I'd suspect moisture is part of the issue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, unfortunately May's skin issues are not getting better. :( It's staying the same. She now has a small bald area on her chest (the part that touches the ground when she lays down) in addition to the bald patches on her belly and the sore on her udder.
She is itchy, scratches herself more than the other goats and has thinning hair on her neck.
I have been putting on nustock every 3 days. I've was putting on petroleum jelly/triple antibiotic/vetericyn/blu-kote every day, but a few days ago I added chlorhexidine spray to the mix of daily treatments. She licks it all off every day (doesn't seem to care how it tastes), so when it is time to treat her every evening all the cream from the previous day is gone. :(

We are going to give an ivermectin shot in case of mites even though she has been treated with the pour on. (don't worry we will repeat the shot)

We are not able to get a skin scraping/vet visit right now.

Do you think we should do antibiotics in case of staph?

Any suggestions?

I also started her on 1 cup of Purina miniature horse and pony grain daily while she is on the stand since she is a bit thin. Also some alfalfa/beet pulp pellets. She is not acting sick other than the itching.

Also, we are in a mini drought right now. The old hay that the goats lay on is pretty ground up at this point and the ground is dry.
There are a TON of flies as usual though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is her udder last night (before treatments were applied). The purple is blu kote stains

IMG_20200516_200617432.jpg

Here is the new spot on her chest:
Screenshot_20200517-161510.png

Here she is caught in the act (and that is the old hay she's sitting on)
IMG_20200515_201654980__exported_1169_1589746598484.jpg

Here's her cute face:

IMG_20200508_131933097__exported_1949_1589746911647.jpg

Reactions: Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
She is beautiful. Here in South Africa, we currently have a mite outbreak. My fallow deer looks exactly the same. It is usually cold here now but we are having unusually warm weather.
I treat my deer with vaseline on her itchy spots with a very small amount of tea tree oil combined.
I have treated her with carbadust once a week. I dont know if you have that. My fallow deer sleep in their pasture no stalls for them.
I hope your doe feels better soon.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
You need to stop the refrigerator full of treatment first off. Never give one and another and another. This just makes things worse.
I would do a course of Tylan 200 4 ccs per 100 lbs once daily for 5 days. I would use hibiclean but, yeah, not available, busy destroying our immune systems now. Do you happen to have an old first aid kit with the old 10% iodine wipes? Or the benzidine wipes? Mecuricrome? Providone?
I can tell you how to heal them naturally do you have ash or alder trees?

What has our world come to when we can't get basic first aid supplies and what we are providing is making everything worse.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You need to stop the refrigerator full of treatment first off. Never give one and another and another. This just makes things worse.
I would do a course of Tylan 200 4 ccs per 100 lbs once daily for 5 days. I would use hibiclean but, yeah, not available, busy destroying our immune systems now. Do you happen to have an old first aid kit with the old 10% iodine wipes? Or the benzidine wipes? Mecuricrome? Providone?
I can tell you how to heal them naturally do you have ash or alder trees?

What has our world come to when we can't get basic first aid supplies and what we are providing is making everything worse.
Thank you for the advice! Isn't hibiclean chlorhexidine? We have chlorhexidine spray. We have iodine also but no wipes. Is any of that stuff prescription? If it's not, we can order it. Actually, we can try to get the vet to approve the order even if it is prescription.
We sadly don't have tylan 200 (would have to order) . We do have penicillin.

We are in south GA on around 50 acres (a lot of it is woods).No alder but according to this page https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B987&title=Native Plants for Georgia Part I: Trees, Shrubs and Woody Vines
we have ash in GA . I don't know if there's any on the property though, would have to check.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bump

1 - 20 of 106 Posts