The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
@21goaties , is it just me or do you tend to have a lot of skin issues? I've read multiple threads over time of mystery external problems, eyes, fungal, skin, correct me I am wrong. Is there perhaps something systemically or even environmentally that is causing problems??
The threads where I mentioned fungal, were about a different goat that had this same type of sore. I thought it was ringworm then. But now, I think it seems more like staph based on what I have read.

The eyes, we had testing done and the results were not very telling. Thankfully, the goats with the abnormal eyes eat, drink, play and seem to function pretty normally.

Well, environmentally we live in a rainforest basically. Everything you read says goats+damp/humid climate = problems. We have seen that to be true. I definitely think that has something to do with it. They live in a huge pasture with woods and only go in their tarp/hoop shelters when it's storming.

But all of the goats are not covered in sores. May has the worst one right now. A few others have some scabs. I'm determined to cure them.

Before I joined the forum I did not know a ton of stuff and the goats suffered for it. I think the copper deficiency (and zinc/selenium) may have contributed to this too. I have been working on fixing this and they have been getting regular copper boluses as well as replamin for the ones that I think need it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Today is day 4 of the tylan 200 (we give the shot in the evening). The sore currently looks like it's drying up, I'll post pics tonight.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well bummer. Yesterday the skin was gray and dry, no red rawness or flies/gnats and it looked like it was healing. Today...it's raw again and with gnats. I'm assuming she chewed on it. I put some more fly cream on and she got her 4th tylan 200 shot. She is healthy otherwise. Still has the strip on her belly, its not currently raw but has some scabs..
Do you think if it is staph that the infection could be killed but it still be itchy? Just a random thought...
@goathiker @toth boer goats @ksalvagno
IMG_20200605_201936553.jpg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thank you guys. :)

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
I'm watching you
22,268 Posts
Uh, nobody's ever said anything about gnats, which equals sweet itch, which equals a completely different thing. Really, were there gnats the whole time?

Just put some Cylence on every 3 to 4 weeks to keep the gnats off.
Be very careful with the screw worm spray above. It builds up and I have personally seen young animals killed using it. 2 of them my own when DH didn't understand the directions.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Have there been gnats the whole time? I would say yes, depending on the weather that day and how raw the sore was that day. We have a ton of gnats here.
I have not put any of the catron on yet because we would have to order it. I have been putting on swat cream daily . The sore is not completely healed yet....

We discovered today that she had a reaction to the tylan 200 shots (which she finished 2 days ago). There are large (like orange size) lumps everywhere we gave her one of the shots. Even though I've been checking her every day I didn't notice them until today, they seem to have been getting bigger since she got the shots. They are flattish and squishy and one has a red spot on it. Poor girl. We dosed her with benadryl. I guess that means she can't ever have tylan 200 again since she's allergic to it?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well...May still has the sores. The lumps she got from the tylan 200 shots went away after a dose of benadryl, but the place where the lump was that had a raw spot on it turned into a sore. :(

To recap:

The main lesion is on her udder. It feels thick and rough and is frequently raw. She also has a strip of hair loss on her belly that is dotted with small versions of the lesion on her udder. They are covered with thick scabs sometimes, and raw other times.
She has had this issue since early April.
She is acting completely normal other than licking/biting at the sores. Body condition is good and her coat is smooth. Her fecal in March was clean and her FAMACHA score is currently good.
She lives in a huge pasture/woods with 10 other goats and 1 cow. A few of the other goats have the exact same lesions on their bellies that she does, but theirs are not looking nearly as bad as May's.

She had mastitis in her precocious udder in August 2019, it was successfully treated with penicillin injections in addition to Tomorrow intramammary infusions. We also did warm compresses, and massaged peppermint oil onto the udder. Her udder dried up after that, but started to fill again about a month ago. Currently she does not appear to have mastitis (no lumps or heat in the udder).

Here is a link to a folder containing pictures of her sores during the last 2 months. The name of each file includes the date that it was taken.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pnFpa6ZDrry_zqwe8AXA49CD0ub6Sc-3?usp=sharing

The below is what she has received during the last few months:

Bimectin pour on (along the back) - April 4th 2020, April 26th 2020, May 30th 2020
Vetericyn hydrogel was applied to affected areas daily for about a week starting April 23rd 2020
One 4 gram copper bolus - April 26th 2020
Nu-Stock was applied on May 1st, 4th, and 7th
A combination of Nu-Stock, Blu-Kote, and Vetericyn was applied on May 9th
A combination of petroleum jelly, triple antibiotic ointment, and Vetericyn was applied May 10th and 11th
A combination of petroleum jelly, Blu-Kote, Nu-Stock, and Vetericyn was applied May 12th
A combination of petroleum jelly, triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericyn, Blu-Kote, and 4% Chlorhexidine spray was applied May 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 2 times (AM and PM) on the 17th.
A combination of triple antibiotic ointment, diluted iodine spray, and 4% Chlorhexidine spray was applied May 18th, 19th, and 20th
Diluted iodine spray and 4% Chlorhexidine spray was applied 2 times (AM and PM) daily May 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th
Seven Penicillin injections, one on May 21st 2020, two daily on May 22nd, 23rd, and 24th.
The affected areas were washed with baby soap on May 25th 2020
Five Tylan 200 injections, one daily starting June 2nd and ending June 6th

SWAT fly repellent cream was applied nearly daily since June 5th. I stopped it on the 16th because I thought it was irritating the sore and making it worse. For the last several days I have been washing the sores with diluted iodine and putting on 4% chlorhexidine spray. I also applied nu stock again several days ago, but it did nothing.

She has been getting 1-2 vitamin C chewables almost daily during all of this, as well as some daily alfalfa pellets, beet pulp pellets, and grain.

@goathiker , when you suggested Cylence, is it safe to put directly on the sores?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Cylence is supposed to be put along the spine for lice control. You wouldn't put it on sores as far as I know. I'm wondering if you need to do like a 14 day course of antibiotic. It looks like you have never done a long term injected antibiotic.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Okay.
I hate shots and so does she but I know they are often necessary.

I'm trying to find a way to swab her sore myself and mail it in to culture for antibiotic sensitivity. Our local lab won't do it unless a vet collects the swab but I found an out of state lab that will. Has anyone ever done this? Any tips?

The flies are a problem too, since she licks off whatever you put on the sore fly repellent doesn't last long. It can't heal with flies on it..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well, the lab told me which swabs to use, but based on what I have read online you have to be a vet to purchase them.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Try putting on Virgin organic coconut oil on it, 2 x a day or more.

It has healing properties, also treats ailments.

You have tried everything else may be worth a try.

Put a dog cone on her if she won't stop licking at it.

I am just hoping the flies stay off of it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thank you! I am currently wiping it off with plain water, spraying it with chlorhexidine spray, and putting swat cream around it daily.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
I'm watching you
22,268 Posts
The cylence keeps flys off. It's like a spot on for dogs, keeping many biting insects away.

Hydrocortisone might be your next move.

Do you have soda out? Eating of soda deactivates most antibiotic products.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts