The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The cylence keeps flys off. It's like a spot on for dogs, keeping many biting insects away.

Hydrocortisone might be your next move.

Do you have soda out? Eating of soda deactivates most antibiotic products.
Thanks!
So I can't put cylence directly on the sores?
No soda, the only thing out is minerals.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Update:
When winter came May's sores finally dried up and disappeared.

We just recently noticed that she was looking itchy, has thinning hair on her neck and I caught her scratching her udder with her horn. Thankfully her udder is empty. This is the same time that the sores started last year. We want to nip it in the bud this year so yesterday we gave her an ivermectin shot in case of mites (I checked records and we have never given her one before), and applied Cylence down her topline. I also examined her belly and udder, they looked fine except for one scab on her belly that I put NuStock on. No sores. She got copper bolused and got ivermectin pour on a few weeks ago.

I also want to start her on a zinc supplement because I think that may be what is causing the thinning hair on her neck. We tried nustock on it last year which did nothing.
She is about 135 lbs, would half of one of these Spring Valley Zinc Caplets, 50 mg given daily be good? I've seen a ton of different dosages lol.

Also, when treating mites do you need to repeat the ivermectin shot? It says here: The Biology of the Goat that "Treatment with ivermectin injections twice at three week intervals will usually control all of these mites."

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Update:
When winter came May's sores finally dried up and disappeared.

We just recently noticed that she was looking itchy, has thinning hair on her neck and I caught her scratching her udder with her horn. Thankfully her udder is empty. This is the same time that the sores started last year. We want to nip it in the bud this year so yesterday we gave her an ivermectin shot in case of mites (I checked records and we have never given her one before), and applied Cylence down her topline. I also examined her belly and udder, they looked fine except for one scab on her belly that I put NuStock on. No sores. She got copper bolused and got ivermectin pour on a few weeks ago.

I also want to start her on a zinc supplement because I think that may be what is causing the thinning hair on her neck. We tried nustock on it last year which did nothing.
She is about 135 lbs, would half of one of these Spring Valley Zinc Caplets, 50 mg given daily be good? I've seen a ton of different dosages lol.

Also, when treating mites do you need to repeat the ivermectin shot? It says here: The Biology of the Goat that "Treatment with ivermectin injections twice at three week intervals will usually control all of these mites."
Bump

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
For mites,fleas, lice, I use permithrin and pour on her from base of neck to end of tail. I use ivermectin as an internal.wormer only. The permithrin ,if mixed like the instructions, is safe for goats. Ive used it for years. This time of year I start useing it. I also use Python dust on their bedding area. It kills fleas, lice, mites also.
Since the sore dried up & disapeared in winter, could it be an allergy? Have you tried benedryl on the skin thats affected? I have a dog who.has skin allergies once the temp is above 60. He gets a shower of benadryl about once a month. If I give him tablets, it.doesnt work as well.
I Hope some of this helps your poor girl. Good luck in finding your solution.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Update, May's scabby sores came back on April 13th 2021 despite our efforts to stop them. She has a strip on her belly and some on her tail. They are exactly like they were last year where they will dry up completely then be open and red the next day. The only thing I have been putting on the ones on her belly is iodine once a day. The ones on her tail which just appeared recently I have been putting blu kote on once daily. That worked to dry up 2 of them (at least for now) but yesterday another one opened up on the other side of her tail so I put blu kote on it too.

We gave her 20 ml of liquid benadryl daily for about 6 days straight starting on April 19th. It did nothing so we stopped it.

She has the thinning hair/dandruff on her neck again so I have been giving her zinc tablets every day since April 15th. At first I did 25mg daily then about a week later I started giving 50mg daily. I have not seen any improvement on her neck so I'm wondering if I should stop the zinc, I don't want to waste it.

She is healthy otherwise and gets 1 cup of alfalfa and 1/2 cup of beet pulp daily while she is on the stand getting her sores looked at. Her udder is empty. I have also been giving her 1/2 cup of purina mini horse grain daily because she lost a bit of weight at the end of winter. But now she has gained it back and has reclaimed her title of Plump May so I am stopping the grain.
During the winter she got a tiny bit more alfalfa and beet pulp daily but most of her diet was grass hay. Now she is foraging all day. The sores came back as soon as it got warm and the bugs came out. Gnats and flies do land on the sores but I have not put any fly repellent on because it seemed to make it worse when I tried it last year.

She is an extremely sensitive goat and chews at the sores. At this point I'm wondering if it is an allergy...

I can post pics, if anyone has any ideas feel free to share them..

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
631 Posts
This sounds suspiciously like what used to happen to a dog we had who was highly allergic to fleas. One bite and we had to take him to the vet for a shot because Benadryl wasn’t strong enough for his allergy. I wonder if your goat might be overly sensitive to a normally annoying but benign bite from something. Has she been checked by a vet for allergies?

Sorry you’re dealing with this again. I hope you get it all figured out and that it ends up being something simple to treat.

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
It looks like staph that got infected. I would work from the inside out. What I mean is, as with us humans, an unhealthy gut can cause us all kinds of issues..so with her..since this is recurring issue, it might be a gut/stress problem. Spring brings lots of changes and along with it, stressors. Here is Texas we get a lot of storms, wet weather and long days in the barn! Flies and other pests begin showing themselves. So along with topical treatments, such as MTG for horses, which is same treatment really as NuStock, but spray, so makes it easier to apply to areas she hate you touching. I have diluted NuStock before and used as a spray when my buck has mites all over..so either is fine. If she has a special place or two she enjoys laying, you could lay pine shaving down, tractor tires filled with with dirt and topped with pine shaving make fun places to lay, my goats fight over the one we have.. or add fun climbing stuff she can jump up on and lay. like a spool or old coffee table. ( may need several so others don't take all the places LOL) These may not be practical in your set up, but ideas to help spark ideas that may work better for you. Idea is get her a laying spot off the ground. Even is the best you can offer is a night pen for her and a buddy where she has clean bedding for the night.
Now the inside....for starters, I would give daily probiotics and garlic. Once a week give Dark beer. A good GI herbal blend like LOH Back on track. Make sure she has good minerals. see how she does. One thing for sure, she is in good hands!!

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
It looks like staph that got infected.
I think you may be right. I started giving her daily garlic about a week ago and we just got a cobalt block for the first time ever a few days ago. I have continued to check her over every day and spray iodine on her scabs/sores. The ones on her belly
have not changed if anything they've gotten worse.

She also had some sores on the sides of her tail that are currently cleared up thanks to blu kote and then nustock once they scabbed over. Now there are just bald spots there.

However, when I checked her tonight I noticed a new raw spot on the side of her tail, so I looked at her bottom and saw what looks like staph. I attached pictures, warning they are gross.

SO......I'm guessing she has super resistant staph. We treated her last year with tylan 200 and it did nothing..we also did a lot of other stuff that is in the previous posts on this thread. We are going to call the vet tomorrow. I've never seen it on her bottom before.

IMG_20210525_210031988.jpg

IMG_20210525_210425753.jpg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
In the meantime I'm wondering if I should treat it topically? I didn't put anything on it yesterday. There are so many creams, ointments, and sprays that are supposed to cure staph. We have Tomorrow but I don't really want to use it if we are going to be giving an injectable antibiotic.
What about putting just chlorhexidine on it? Would that have a negative effect? We tried it last year but it was mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
Poor girl. Yes Chlorhexidine would be a good choice or tea tree spray.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Poor girl. Yes Chlorhexidine would be a good choice or tea tree spray.
Okay thanks! We have this, do I just put it on undiluted? Does it need to be rinsed off?

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
I would and have used full strength..no washing off.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
It was worse last night (I attached a pic, taken after I sprayed the hibiclens) we are planning to get her to the vet today

IMG_20210526_211845465.jpg

Reactions: ksalvagno

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The vet took a skin scraping from May's tail and looked at it under the microscope. He said that she has seasonal allergies (which explains why it went away completely in the winter) and that she has a skin infection (possibly staphylococcus or streptococcus) secondary to allergies. He said it could be a common allergy to mold spores in the environment. He gave her a shot of cortisone that should last 4-8 weeks and said to apply this to the affected areas:

81 - 100 of 106 Posts