The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I’d say from personal experience, treat for both, or treat for zinc deficiency first then if that doesn’t work try treating for mites, you can give human zinc pills 50mg every day for a week then if it seems to be working give one pill a week for a month or two, but if you see no improvement after a week or two of zinc supplements, treat for mites the sooner you get rid of the mites the better because they usually get worse the longer you let them go, for mites you can treat with ivermectin, 1 cc per 40 pounds, SQ once a week for 3 weeks, also one clove of raw garlic a day helps a lot for mites, and black oil sunflower seeds are very good for their skin, 1/4 a day for 2 weeks then a handful a day for however long you think they need it.
I hope your goat gets better soon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are the flies bad there? Is he rubbing because he is itchy? I would try fly repellent but the dry skin at the tail base makes me think mites. You could use boss pour on along the topline and clean out your barn, treat again 10 days later as they rehatch if that is what it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts