The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to posting. Nigerian doe 15 months with dry flaky skin, dry missing hair ears, and around eyes. Main concern half dollar size dry cracked wart like abrasion on chin. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
979 Posts
My guess is mange mites or allergies...I have 2 allergic to weeds in hay that get these. I tried Ivomec for the mites but the python dust or generic dust for skin parasites worked better, then I put blue cote on broken skin areas and dabbed a fungicide on crusties / sprayed it on rest of skin that wasn't face. (Fungal infections like to set in when mites take hold). It literally DAYS they were better. We also boosted their minerals, copper bolused and added kelp which has helped maintain them so we don't have to dust soo much. allergies/fungus/mites all seem to take hold when one gets in there as one of the three weaken the goat's defenses tot he other two.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Welcome to goat spot!!

This could be a few things...as stated above..allergies, mites, lice or mineral deficency or worms.. hair loss around eyes and ears sound more like copper def. and the dry cracked wart like thing could be sore mouth or a wart...a picture would help us know which...Please do not touch it bare handed..it can be contagious

where to start: first get a pick of her sore and post it here : ) do a close exam and see if she has lice...they are small greyish bugs,,,no worries..they dont get on humans...look closely at the skin areas with no hair...mites will cause crusty build up,
Is her hair coarse or soft?

I would start with a fecal to see if there is a worm issue. include a look for cocci
B complex is a good support Vitamin
Add a quality goat loose minerals to their diet
Selenium and Vit. E gel or a BoSe shot

Once you have a fecal done and if worms are an issue we canhelp you pick a good wormer...Usually Valbazen or Ivomec plus covers it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank u for the suggestions. I know I have to give both my doe and wether copper. Wether has brown patches of hair on legs. I will try kelp and the anti-fungal med.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks happybleats! I don't have a way to post picture. I examine everyday the skin do not see lice. Gums and eye mucous membranes nice and dark pink normal berry poops. Excellent appetite, maybe a little to good ha ha.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
sounds like happy goats : )
I would guess then they need minerals...most likely the copper, copper def. willcause hair loss and flaky skin and as you mentioned, fading color .....do they have a quality loose mineral for goats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes my 2 goats have loose minerals, baking soda fresh water with viniger and molasses 3 times a day. Fresh hay daily. Grain 6 oz 3 times a day for the two. My grain is blue seal one third mix- dairy,medicated and sweet. My babies get .5 oz raisins and 1 prune each daily.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Baking soda should not be left out for wethers unless they are bloating or acidic.
Now why molasses in their water plus sweet feed? Molasses slows the rumen and causes acid build up.
The medicated feed is meant to be dosed at 1/2lb per 50lb of goat. Anything less is causing resistant Coccidia.

You can try wiping scope on the dandruff areas, it works very well for some types of dandruff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts