The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Oberhasli has several sores on her skin. They are about the size of the tip of my finger. They don't look like CL since she hasn't had any puss and they don't get bigger. They seem to be concentrated on her legs, but have been on other parts of her body as well.

None of my other goats of different breeds have every had this problem. I gave her Noromectin (Ivermectin generic) about 3-4 weeks ago. 3cc orally. I thought she might have a lice problem.

I gave the rest of the herd (three others) the Noromectin as well, but she shook her head after I gave it to her so it's possible she didn't swallow it.

She is 2 years old and due to kid any day.

Should I retry some Noromectin or could it be something else?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
59,278 Posts
Can you post a pic? Mites could be the problem. Staph infection could be the problem. If you do the Noromectin again, I would inject it. Do 1cc per 40 lbs SQ. Do it 3 times 10-14 days apart. You could also clean the areas with betadine or chlorhexidine and then put NuStock or MTG on the areas.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
are they round flattish scabby sores? showing signs of dried oozing?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its my first time on this forum, I'll try to post pictures today.

There is no oozing. The are small bumps mostly with flaky skin more than scabby.

She has so many it would be hard to treat each one, but I can start on them and see if the things Karen suggested helps.

She also has a lot of dandruff. I noticed last night when I was out there that I have one other goat that is loosing a lot of her hair, I wonder if it could be related. She also has a lot of dandruff. The first goat has the sores but is not loosing her coat the next one doesn't have the sores but is doing a lot of shedding.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are they round flattish scabby sores? showing signs of dried oozing?
When I looked again this morning I realized they do look a lot more like this than I realized. Looks like some dried whitish type scab that came off easily to reveal a red circular flat top to the slightly larger raised area.

What could that be?

Still need to post a picture.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
My saanen had what I discribed..I never actually found out what they were but I did treat with iodine with success..
I could see the hair raised around them..she had them on her neck area mostly..I kept them covered in iodine twice a day and it worked..
with the flaking skin could be dry skin or mites...for dry flaking skin Ive been giving my two flaky girls ground flax and wheat germ ( both can be found in the baking isle) with enough coconut oil to make a paste..my girls eat it right off the spoon, for mites ivomec 3 times one week apart will clear them off

·
2,203 Posts
Don't rule out ringworm quite yet either. Not fun, poor girl!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had some of the same looking sores on our goats, but it is from where a tick was. Once they fell off, this is what the sore looked like.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Tea tree oil works nicely for ring worm. Basically any anti fungal

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She kidded on Saturday. Her first kid was stuck with a leg back and 9.6 pounds. So I went in some to help get it out. So, now she is on byo-miacin. I figure that might cover some of the options for the skin problem. Also, I'll give her a couple days and giver her Noromectin again and put some antifungal cream on her sores.

That should cover a lot of the options....

I don't know if it will help a staff infection for sure.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Congrats on your new baby...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts