Skinny does??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Mar 9, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

All my girls, even the preggos due in may, seem to be looking thin.

They get fed lots and get to graze on grass during the day, hav been wormed and fecal test was good.

BUT they have been looking skinny the past few days.

Its actually only 3.

My 3 year old senior, Cookie, who isnt due until July, she was just brought to me from a friend, and she looked skinny when she got here, shes been eating lots, im not sure how to make her weight go up, my friend is scared shes doing something wrong...

My 2 year old senior Porsche, shes due in may, shes not that skinny, not like cookie, but sometimes she looks hollow, shes always looked like that...Im just not sure if its because shes super long and hides her fat or if somethings wrong lol

And last, Adelle, my yearling Junior, who was supossed to be bred, but I decided to wait till this fall. Shes kinda skinny, hollow looking, but shes at a great weight, in fact shes FAT compared to some of the others, she has her baby fat lol

Any ideas on what can be wrong?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With the fecal testing ..did they test for cocci?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

The vet said everything was fine, cocci and worm counts were really low and that i didnt need to worry. This is an actual goat vet lol they have dairy goats. My girls arent showing any signs of being sick, poop is normal, they are getting plenty to drink and eat, they play during the day and seem like very happy goats, theres just those 3 that look skinny. cookie you can see her hip bone, she looks like she just had quads, thats how skinny she is

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like.... you should increase their feed intake.....

the cold weather.... will burn off ...what they eat....if they aren't fed enough...or fed lower quality feed.....the hay has to be good quality hay...Alfalfa is the best.....grain them some to.... Not too much ..........

always remember ...to do it gradual.. if you change feeding patterns.... :wink:

5. TinyHoovesRanch

I have been giving them soooo much food though lol, well they arent really free choice anymore, maybe thats it?

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What are you feeding them?

7. TinyHoovesRanch

They are getting an alfalfa/grain mix. We were giving all alfalfa but they stopped eating it, like refused to eat it, i would leave a bale, really nice, no mold, and they would even touch it. My friend feeds all her animals this grain mix, she tried giving them that and they went crazy

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm....OK...well.... I guess you will have to go back to free choice and try that....don't let them get fat though..... that will create more problems.....