Skinny goat questions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Jan 9, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Tilly, my Nubian is skinny, very skinny but I can't find anything wrong. Her eyes are pale but the fecal shows very, very few worm eggs and basically nothing else. I was thinking maybe she had a cocci load but I can't any of those either. All I see is 2 eggs, vm, and air donuts on the slide. Am I missing something?
    Temp was 101.3 at 11:30 this morning with an outside temp of 24°F and light breeze. She was shivering a little but then all the goats were until after munching on hay. Good appetite, not depressed, eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally. Runs to get the hay if she thinks another goat is going after it.

I am hesitant to start giving stuff without knowing what I am trying to treat. The mean goat I just re homed would bully her away from the feed/hay. She should be picking up some weight. Shes not loosing any but shes not gaining any either. Shes been copper bloused so its not that.

I am running another fecal on another poop sample to see if I missed something. I am letting this sample set for 40 minutes so whatever is in there should float to the top.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I am confused now. I found a site that shows the images of cocci and the picture looks like the things I have been told are air bubbles. Dark round donut with a hole in the middle. There were quite a few( probably around 30) of these in the first sample. IF these donute are cocci then I have a bad overload. This is the page I am looking at http://biology.unm.edu/biology/coccidia ... abiol.html The donut is what I think I am looking at.

I am attempting to load a picture of the slide in the microscope with the "air bubble" showing, but its not working out too well.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you deliced... for the 2 different types of lice...biting and sucking.....they can make the goat anemic... and lose condition... :hug:

4. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
  5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Thank you Evan Those pictures are great and give better views than I could find( I tend to forget about the google image search. It looks like I am off do do a cocci treatment. I will wait on the lice till I can get a skin scraping.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well I just gave her a 3oz dose of Sulmet because that's all I have on hand. Things seem to happen when I can't get ahold of the vet for Baycox. I will be calling on Monday though since I don't think the Sulmet is going to do it in an adult goat. IF I had not just kept wondering what was wrong with her it might have gotten out of hand, and I may have lost her. Hopefully I caught it in time to keep any damage at bay. Shes out there munching on her hay, probably trying to get that awful taste out of her mouth. I will do fecals on the rest of the goats to make sure they don't have an overload. They are all fat but its better to be forewarned than sorry and loose them.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Crocee.....if your temps are cold there she could have a worm load and the eggs just aren't showing up on fecal, I was told that adult worms won't lay eggs when conditions are not favorable.
    Just a thought :shrug:

8. Your doe is anemic. If you can not determin the reason, I would seek a vet. You need to find the cause or you will loose your doe. I say this for one reason and one only. I have been there. I lost a doe and nearly lost both her kids. ALL were the same deal, no signs at all. A fecal done by a vet will not cost you very little and give you the answers you seek. If I can find my post on this I will post it for you. My fecals we only 1+ on the cocci, it will not take much.

9. Here was my post on this...

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thank you JD. A fecal will be going to the vet on Monday so I can show I need the baycox. Its expensive but it does work. I think maybe I have had cocci around for a while and was confusing it with air bubbles. I had always been told those little round donut looking things were air bubbles and I have always seen them. I found out that if you up the magnification to 400x they do not look like air bubbles any more. For my area I have to use Cydectin followed by Ivermectin, followed by ivermectin to get things under control. This is the method I have been using. I think the problem became worse with the super cold temps we have been having and allowed the cocci to over populate. Now that I know what I am looking at I think I can keep better control over the situation. Her eyes are not white yet so maybe I got it in time, they are a light pink, and I have red cell.

One more question.

How soon after the initial dose of cocci meds can I give B-1 to keep polio form happening? I know cocci lives on thiamine so I don't want super cocci.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I strongly suggest checking for lice as well. If its not worms or cocci lice is the likely culprit. It can make a animal very thin and anemic.
    beth

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will be doing a skin scraping later this morning to check for the nasty things. I did the ivermectin pour on down the backs of all the goats last month. Shouldn't that have taken care of the lice that might have been there?

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wait till you have completed treatment for at least one day and then you can give some B1 otherwise you are counter acting the drug. Though with Baycox it actually kills all stages with one dose so i am not sure if its a thiamine inhibitor like corid and sulmet etc are

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Shes not acting like she is deficient right now. In fact shes acting feistier than normal. They have been pulling down cedar limbs all morning. Zeus found out he could jump up and pull some down to eat, the others just started joining in to the feeding frenzy. They had eaten all the lower branches up to about 5 feet long ago. Now they are starting on the higher ones. They look at the oak trees with longing for spring. I will go out and give her another dose of Sulmet to keep this at bay.

OH I did look for lice and didn't see anything but I will dust her just in case. I wonder if mites would cause this?

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yes mites can cause anemia as well. Lice sometimes takes more then one treatment to to get rid of completly.