The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just bought a Nubian doe and she is super skinny with 2 babies, I need some ideas for putting weight on her. She is getting grain and hay but isn't putting on the weight. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
you can add Calf manna and BOSS but do so slowly...a little at a time..adding alfalfa to her diet would be good too...Making sure she is getting what she needs to support her nursing kids and for herself is a good first step, if at best you can maintain her condition with out her getting worse until weening, you would still be ahead of the game..I agree to have a fecal done be sure she isnt dealing with other issues...
B complex is good to give daily and porbiotics

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Her kids are still pretty young they are definitely not ready to be weaned and she is definitely getting high quality alfalfa and some different grains mixed together. Will worming her help?

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
If you cant have a fecal done, check her lower inner eyelids...they should be very pink to red, also notice her coats condition, is it coarse? wooly? or sleek and glossy?
If she looks wormy, then treat with a broad base wormer to cover a large variety of worms such as ivomec plus ( 1ccper 40# sub Q) or valbazen..(1 cc per 10#)
I always worm new goat as a course of protocal....stress opens the door to worm load...

·
Registered
131 Posts
How much grain are you feeding her a day? Which brand is it? Even if Calf Manna is in her grain, she may need more than she is actually eating.

I have a very underweight LaMancha in milk, we just bought a month ago. She hadn't been wormed since kidding two months ago, so we did that this week. Also, we slowly raised her grain ration, for being milked twice daily on the stand. We added in BOSS, Milk Plus (Calf Manna equivalent), and Beet Pulp Pellets. Top dressed with Sweetlix Meatmaker loose minerals, and 1/4 cup Olive Oil. When my order from Valley Vet comes this Thursday, she will be given Copasure Copper Bolus for goats, Selenium/Vitamin E gel (Cannot find a vet nearby who gives the BoSe shot), and Probios gel. Also free choice Alfalfa hay, loose minerals and baking soda. We change our water for the goats twice a day.

We also just started giving her 3 extra cups of Alfalfa Pellets with BOSS, at noon this week. So she is fed at 6 am, 12 noon, and 6 pm. So this is what our routine looks like for our LaMancha, morning and night;

3 cups Nutrena Top Goat
1 1/2 cups Milk Plus
1 cup BOSS
1 cup Beet Pulp Pellets
Vitamin C powder
3 TBSP Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals
1/4 cup Olive Oil

She is milking nearly 1 1/2 gallons a day total, as a first freshener. Her previous owners had her on pasture, and only gave her two cups of alfalfa pellets in the morning. She's had NOTHING else, so she looked horrific when we drove to pick her up. We started/increased her feeding routine slowly over the course of 2 weeks or so, as to not overwhelm or shock her digestive system. Her coat looks nearly 100% better, but it will take another few weeks, or more, to see a slight difference in weight gain. We just added in the Beet Pulp this week, as well as the extra feeding of alfalfa pellets at noon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts