Skinny & not milking much!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FunnyNudders, Jun 19, 2013.

1. FunnyNudders

FunnyNudders FunnyNudders

Apr 15, 2013
    Springdale Arkansas
    One of my goats has gotten skinny and has begun to stop milking. She has three buckling's on her that are about 8 to 9 weeks old. She was wormed last with a pelleted wormer about 3 to 4 weeks before she gave birth. She was skinnier than the rest of my goat mommas after she gave birth and has gotten worse..the rest have picked up weight and look fine. She has lost her apatite for grain and she only eats a little then will not finish. Normally she is grain crazy. She is more than ready to be put up at night so she can be away from her babies.She had been our best milker and now we barely get anything from her. Should I stop milking her completely? I have Ivomec wormer which I plan to worm her with tomorrow. My question is do I need to worm the babies as well? How long do I need to dump the milk after worming with Ivomec? She gets alfalfa pellets,free choice baking soda, free choice minerals, sweet grain 12% and pasture grass/weeds free range. She acts as if she is running from her babies all day, she lets them drink but she just seams worn out. She is only 2 years old. Should I wean the babies? The babies are big and healthy. Mom has pale pink eye lids. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Curious

Curious New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    South Georgia
    If she was wormed before birthing, she most likely is suffering from a worm overload, although going off her feed makes me worry about milk fever or ketosis...have you had a fecal done on her? I would do that and also a ketone test. If you're worried about the kids have a fecal test done on them too..they can be wormed with Valbazen. As far as milk dumping, I think it's 5 days. How many pounds/cups of grain does she get a day? If she's very thin I would wean them and start to dry her off. A sudden drop in production is never a good thing...hopefully others will chime in with some better suggestions.

3. FunnyNudders

FunnyNudders FunnyNudders

Apr 15, 2013
    Springdale Arkansas
    Thank you Curious, she gets 6 cps of grain a day but now wont eat but 2 cups of grain. The kids seam fine. She eats pasture grass all day with the other goats and comes back in looing full and fat but in the morning looks thin again. I have not done a fecal on her yet.

4. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I think she is just being drug down by the kids a lot, normally with triplets, I will either pull one kid, or all three and bottle feed them.
    I would separate the kids, and try to supplement feed them with bottles. Even if they never take the bottle, they are 8 weeks, weaning them will not kill them.

I would try to get the doe to drink more, and are you feeding hay? Try giving her the same amount of grain, but split it up into more feedings, but I would also up the grain amount if I were you. Worm her again, if you feed it to the kids (the goats) you do not need to dump it, I never even dump it when I drink it.

You can keep her in milk, but it will be harder to put weight on if she is still in milk, unless you feed a lot more grain. I would add calf manna, or farmers feed excelorater, along with alfalfa pellets, and sunflower seeds, maybe even up the grain you are using to a higher protein grain.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would have a fecal test done to include coccidia. You need to know what parasites you are dealing with before treating. Worm all you want with the wrong wormer and it won't do a thing.

I would also be giving her B Complex shots daily for a few days.