Skinny pregnant doe help me

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hartwigfarms, Feb 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hartwigfarms

Hartwigfarms Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Appleton,WI
    Hello

I have a doe. 2 years old. Second pregnancy. I got her already bred. Long story short. I had her as a baby..... had her thru her first pregnancy and milking etc. I sold her to someone who really needed the milk. Now I haven't seen that goat for months until she called me asking if I wanted to buy her back. Mind you when she left my farm she was thick chuncky in fab shape. And so I went to get her back from the lady. Who said she did not need milk anymore. So I liked this doe and wanted her back. So I went and got her. She was a rag of bones. I was upset to say the least. She also said oh btw she's bred. #1 why breed a animal in poor body condition. #2 lady says to me ; I wasent getting enough milk. I asked what were you feeding? She says a flake of hay every other day. Now this may be fine to you. But I've never done that. If I want milk. I feed my girls grain. And hay. .... anyways. So I got this bag of bones back. Poor thing. I wormed her. And got her back on grain. Of course dried her up. Etc. now she was bred to a pure Boer buck. She is huge...... but her body condition is very poor. Her baby's are alive. I can see and feel them. I was told she is due in march.... now she is so darn skinny. What can I do to help her? I give her 1 lb of grains am and pm. Oats, sweet feed, calf mana, sunflower seeds, alfalfa and minerals. I don't want to loose her or her baby's.

2. Hartwigfarms

Hartwigfarms Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Appleton,WI
    Here's a pic

Here's a picture

Attached Files:

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like what you are doing is good. You can't overdue it. Maybe give her some probiotics and a B complex shot too.

4. Hartwigfarms

Hartwigfarms Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Appleton,WI
    B complex?

How much B complex and how often? I have some she's due sometime mid march I was told. I also have some probiotics how do I give those? How much ?
    I have been putting her in her own stall during meal time. To make sure she gets enough

5. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    It's going to be hard to put much actual weight on her when she's at this stage of pregnancy, so don't go to extremes because you aren't seeing obvious results. You got her just in time it sounds like. Feed her like you would your other late term pregnant does. Honestly, a slightly skinny one at this stage is less likely to have problems than an obese doe at this stage of pregnancy.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would also give her free choice hay, and make sure she has a good loose mineral. I also give a Bo-Se shot about 3 weeks before delivery, and break a vitamin e capsule into the feed. Poor baby, I'm glad you have her back where she will be well taken care of! Good for you!:)

7. Hartwigfarms

Hartwigfarms Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Appleton,WI
    what is and where do I get a Bose shot?

And I will continue to feed like I do for late term preggo does... and she gets free hay 24/7 anyways lol and a selenium salt loose mix and a goat labled loose mineral mix and bf got her a salt lick yesterday, he is a man of few words but I think he likes the farm :)

8. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Good luck with her! I agree to just try to feed her like you would a normal weight doe in that stage of pregnancy. Just don't up anything fast...little bits at a time. I think beet pulp and calf manna are good for energy and weight gain. Doesn't take a whole lot...my goats get a mixture of 2 parts alfalfa pellets...1 part sweet feed 18%..1/2 part whole oats, 1/2 part shredded beet pulp, 1/2 part calf manna. They also get manna pro loose minerals and grass hay free choice...they get less when early on in pregnancy and more when lactating. If I have a doe having trouble keeping up weight she gets another part calf manna added. Hope this helps and good luck!

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Bo-Se is an injection of Vitamin E and Selenium. Really helps newborn kids(via mom) in selenium deficient areas. It is RX that you have to get from your vet. 1 cc per 40# sub q is what I go by.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

I do agree, just feed her as you do a normal pregnancy. You do not want her to gain to quickly, as it does cause fat to accumulate, which is not good either.

Glad you wormed her, but do know, cocci may also be there if she was stressed. A fecal will let you know.