The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we've built a goathouse, raised, for the winter/snow. The goats go in without a problem...here's my question

What should I be putting on the floor for the Nigerian Dwarfs to sleep on? I'm presently using hay, although ONE goat keeps getting sick.
Not sure if there's any connection with moving their sleeping arrangements, or the hay, or if he's never really gotten better. I had brought him to the vet, and he thought the goat was anemic and worms. He was treated and I think he was better...didn't see signs of diarrhea, now it's like water coming out.

Any cha ce these are connected? Advise...PLEASE

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The vet "thought" it was worms? I don't understand - didn't the vet do a fecal and check for coccidia? If not, that would be the first thing I would do.

As far as bedding, you can use straw, pine shavings or pine wood chips, or old hay if it isn't dusty or moldy. Since it sounds like it probably has a wood floor, I think I would go with shavings or chips to keep the urine from penetrating the floor, and clean often. How far off the ground is your shelter? How cold are your winters or where are you located? By raising the shelter off the ground you have opened up the probability of cold wind blowing under the shelter and that will make the interior of the shelter colder than if it were sitting on the ground. Any possibility of putting some kind of skirting around the bottom to keep the wind from blowing under it? If not, bed it deep!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Sounds like Cocci, did the vet do a fecal, if he did he should know if it is worms or cocci or both or not. Cocci is nothing to mess around with, it kills fast. I know that all too well.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I too agree...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First vet did NOT do a fecal...he said he could tell from gums, eyes and poop covered goat.

Went to a different vet today, as Oscar seemed to be worse. This vet said in fact it's Cocci. Did the exam and took sample and tested it there. Gave me meds to give for 14 days. I'm guessing I need to watch the others, since he told me to separate them. Tomorrow I get to scrub down the raised house. Thanks so much for the feedback!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet "thought" it was worms? I don't understand - didn't the vet do a fecal and check for coccidia? If not, that would be the first thing I would do.

As far as bedding, you can use straw, pine shavings or pine wood chips, or old hay if it isn't dusty or moldy. Since it sounds like it probably has a wood floor, I think I would go with shavings or chips to keep the urine from penetrating the floor, and clean often. How far off the ground is your shelter? How cold are your winters or where are you located? By raising the shelter off the ground you have opened up the probability of cold wind blowing under the shelter and that will make the interior of the shelter colder than if it were sitting on the ground. Any possibility of putting some kind of skirting around the bottom to keep the wind from blowing under it? If not, bed it deep!
Husbands gotta figure out what he's going to do...insulate underneath, maybe put in a plastic type of floor over the wood...anything that makes him happy! Lol...the skirts going to happen, regardless.
Not sure how cold the winters are as we recently moved although not 'freezing' most of the time. I'm in Northwest New Jersey.
The shelters about 2 ft off the ground on one side, higher on the other. Sounds strange, I know, but we live on a huge hill, so the house is actually level. We raised it so that when it does snow, we will be able to get the goats in and out. We lock them in at night for fear of predators.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Glad you found a vet who at least cared enough to see what worm was the issue...: ) hoping he feels better real soon...keep a watch on his temp just in case..If he shares a pen he shares the worms..so yes..do treat the herd...when you have time..I would order Baycox from horseprerace.com..its a very good cocci treatment, keep it on hand...1 cc per 5# one dose before cocci is a issue...2 doses 10 days apart if they have symptoms..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Husbands gotta figure out what he's going to do...insulate underneath, maybe put in a plastic type of floor over the wood...anything that makes him happy! Lol...the skirts going to happen, regardless.
Not sure how cold the winters are as we recently moved although not 'freezing' most of the time. I'm in Northwest New Jersey.
The shelters about 2 ft off the ground on one side, higher on the other. Sounds strange, I know, but we live on a huge hill, so the house is actually level. We raised it so that when it does snow, we will be able to get the goats in and out. We lock them in at night for fear of predators.
No, it actually doesn't sound strange at all. When you said higher on the other side, I figured that was a hill involved somewhere. :laugh: I can also understand the predator issue. Good deal on the skirting. :) You may not need it, but I figure better to put it up now and not need it than to be dealing with it if the winters are worse than you anticipate. Around here negative temps are pretty standard - especially at night - but it's the wind chill that can get really ugly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I let the goats out of their separate pens, and Oscar, the ill one, is not doing well at all. I'm giving him the electrolytes by hand via syringe. He's having difficulties standing.

I'm keeping him swaddled, like a child, and he seems happier like that.

I'm so upset! Not sure what my next step is :(

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
lets go through the check list again...

take his temp
check his lower inner eye lids for color..should be deep pink to red..
hows his poop, pee?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I let the goats out of their separate pens, and Oscar, the ill one, is not doing well at all. I'm giving him the electrolytes by hand via syringe. He's having difficulties standing.

I'm keeping him swaddled, like a child, and he seems happier like that.

I'm so upset! Not sure what my next step is :(
What did the vet give you to treat the cocci? If it's Corid, I would suggest giving Oscar Thiamin or Fortified B Complex because Corid inhibits thiamin and that can cause polio sometimes. One of the symptoms of polio is difficulty standing. Also, how did he tell you give it, and how much?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Glad you went to a knowledgeable goat vet and have an answer. I knew it was cocci.

If corid is what he gave you. I wouldn't give fortified vit B until after the 5 day treatment. I say this because if you do this, you may work against the corid from doing it's job.
If you give proper dosage for their weight, you won't have issues. I never had 1 issue with corid.
You can give fortified vit B complex a day after last dosage treatment of corid.

No vet or anyone can determine by looking at a goat, what is ailing them, a fecal is always best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry to say Oscars gone.

I brought him to the vet this morning, he looked horrible.

Not more than 10 minutes after I left him for iv electolytes and antibiotics, the vet called. His heart gave out.

I've just finished bleaching the goathouse and I'm so sad...for myself and the 4 remaining guys.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Im so sorry...you tried so hard... :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts