The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size sleeping platform have you found works for not accumulating poop overnight? I have one long platform & its covered in poop in the morning. I was thinking an individual platform they might poop off the side?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
I use pallets covered in plywood. I also have a platform that is probably 30" by 25". They do get some piles of poop in the morning, but I just sweep them off directly into a shovel, and then scrape the tops for anything that stuck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What size sleeping platform have you found works for not accumulating poop overnight?
One too small to sleep on. :)

Mine have been know to poop in the water bucket, food bowls and mineral container. I doubt there is anything small enough not to be pooped on at some point.

Perhaps building platforms with some kind of metal grating or wire mesh with, say, half inch holes might work.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't think of it as "covered in poop in the morning", think of it as "bejewelled with organic plant food". I have long ago stopped cleaning up poop. Now I harvest fertilizer. So I appreciate any well sorted piles that are easy to sweep up. Once I have a couple of feed bags full, I spread it on a section of lawn or around a fruit tree.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Don't think of it as "covered in poop in the morning", think of it as "bejewelled with organic plant food". I have long ago stopped cleaning up poop. Now I harvest fertilizer. So I appreciate any well sorted piles that are easy to sweep up. Once I have a couple of feed bags full, I spread it on a section of lawn or around a fruit tree.
Same here! Rather than put it on the compost pile and then redistributing it, I just started side dressing the trees and bushes in the yard.

@Flyingfurr if you just use regular pallets, or build a wooden platform out of slats, with small spaces between them, a lot of the pellets will drop through. Those that don't drop through are easy enough to scrape off.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,273 Posts
I don't like things that allow the poop to fall through because then I can't clean it up right away. I'd rather sweep it up daily than have something on my to-do list. But maybe that's just me. I also tend to let it go long enough that it just accumulates so high that the poop doesn't fall through anyway. 😬

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I use pallets covered in plywood. I also have a platform that is probably 30" by 25". They do get some piles of poop in the morning, but I just sweep them off directly into a shovel, and then scrape the tops for anything that stuck.
This is what I do. It’s so much easier than sweeping it off my natural dirt barn floor, which is uneven and sloped and a pain. I actually wait to clean the bed last during my morning barn cleaning because it’s the easiest part to sweep the pellets directly into my big dust pan/poop collector.

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
286 Posts
Work out trampolines/Childrens trampolines work for us,
Get the ones with springs though, My goats like to chew the ones with the elastic fabric ;)

Edit: here’s one of my wether‘s on one

They also are easy to flip over if they get poop on them

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with others, if they can lay or stand on it, there will be poop! They really just make me mad when I clean the feeder or just fill up the barn water and they poop in it.

Here's my burning question - do they get up to poop or will they poop laying down? I'd think, why not just go when you are laying down?! But I've never seen them do that. I think they have to, cause sometimes the poop is in a tight pile. What I think of when I'm out there!!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Mine can poop while lying down. They just push it out and there’s your tight pile. Easy to clean up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's nice to have a good in depth goat poop discussion on a Thursday afternoon. :)

I think that goats have no idea when they are pooping. They poop while walking, eating, fighting, just about anytime and they don't seem to notice. Being able to poop in their sleep would not surprise me. That is why I do not think you can teach them to poop into a bucket, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's nice to have a good in depth goat poop discussion on a Thursday afternoon. :)

I think that goats have no idea when they are pooping. They poop while walking, eating, fighting, just about anytime and they don't seem to notice. Being able to poop in their sleep would not surprise me. That is why I do not think you can teach them to poop into a bucket, but I could be wrong about that.
It's very weird. I'm not aware of any other animal that poops in their bed other than chickens and goats but chickens are not very intelligent animals and goats are! Even a hamster will poop in one corner of their cage (not in their bed). So yeah, maybe they just don't even notice.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It's very weird. I'm not aware of any other animal that poops in their bed other than chickens and goats but chickens are not very intelligent animals and goats are! Even a hamster will poop in one corner of their cage (not in their bed). So yeah, maybe they just don't even notice.
That is outdated information. Chickens are very intelligent. It used to be scientists believed it was the size of the brain that determind if a being is intelligent, but that has been proven wrong, for birds anyway.
But they do poop where they sleep. Most of them sleep on a roost, so it doesn’t actually soil their bed, like goats’poop does.
@Mike at Capra Vista I do believe that they can hold their poop back. I noticed they will not poop in the milk room, but sometimes poop as soon as they get back. Or if you try to catch a fecal sample, sometimes they hold it back!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts