Sleeping Rough

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    My goats live in a 100 x 30 pen. They have a 10x15 run in shed and a calf hutch that they can go in - yet they choose to lay on the barrels that we have stacked up for them to climb on.

The weather here has been fairly mild at night and they have been sleeping on the barrels all night.

When the horse gets here they will not have access to the stall at night - just the calf hutch.

Why do they lay out there all night and not go into the stall or calf hutch???????

2. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    It's their nature. they like high up places. my goats love to sleep on this pile of rocks in my barn. its not unusual, don't worry about it. :thumb:

3. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So they won;t get cold out there in the windy weather?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is very true....it is their nature.... :wink: :greengrin:

I have a nice warm .... clean... shavings in the barn....door wide open space for them....the night will have frost on the ground ...but where do they lay?...LOL...... on the cold ground or on the big boulders....outside :scratch: :doh: :help:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine are smart..they lay inside though the dumb chickens lay outside still...-8F when they get up in the morning there are barespots not covered in snow!

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

they like to sleep where they feel confortable abd safe. Your goats have chose their barrels as their safe spot. Some prefere barns or outside. They can be funny sometimes.
    beth

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    We have a Nor Easter coming in today and little one has chosen to bed down in the open in the wasted hay - she looked like she was in a nest this am.

Silly goats.

Note - the wasted hay is not normally there - but I have been really sick with the flu this week and not been out there to clean up - only feed and water.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Smart goats! Waste hay is actually very warm and cozy. Its comfy and generates heatas it decomposes.
    beth

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah, they can be funny sometimes.

Ours all have big 'dog house' style shelters and I try to put down a nice warm layer of straw...what do they do? They kick all the straw out of the houses, eat it instead of their hay, and then lay on the bare wooden floors. Or outside in the dirt...they dig holes in the dirt and lay in them like dogs do to keep cool.

When we had our horse, she would stand outside in icy half-frozen rain playing in her water trough, when she had a cozy stall to go in! I'd find her up to her knees in ice from splashing her feet around in the cold water!

10. Wow I must have SMART animals or do they call it finicky???? :slapfloor: Cause mine hardly come OUT of the barn when the weather is bad. They even snuggle up together in the little stall w/straw in it!! Lil turkeys.

11. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Last night mine were walking around in the rain - I finall shut them up in the stall and there were there all night.

Silly girls.