Slime/mucus in milk

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Holmestead backyard farm, May 2, 2020.

1. Holmestead backyard farm

Holmestead backyard farm New Member

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    Hello. I am brand new to goats. We bought a 9yr old Oberhasli with her twin now 4 month old does. We started milking her as she weaned them about 2 1/2-3weeks ago. 1 week ago she had clumps and slimy mucus in the milk. Her udder was super hard. We contacted the local vet so isn’t making house calls at this time. He suggested we get the antibiotics from tractor supply, and we did. We followed all the instructions and it seemed to clear up. This was Monday, and it cleared up by Wednesday. Yesterday there was just a little of the slimy yuck, and then lots today. There is no odor and the color is the same as milk.. Is this normal?? She has only one working udder. Previous owner said she got mastitis and it stopped producing on that side. We only get roughly 1 pint per day. I’ve read that she should produce more. I’m wondering if this has something to do with her age. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CaramelKittey and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Something bad is brewing in there.
    The vet needs to culture it to determine what it is. To know how to cure it. I am afraid.

Any other vets around?

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    How long did you do the antibiotics?

CaramelKittey likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Which antibiotic? Did you use Today or Tomorrow that is actually put into the udder? What is her temp? Sounds like she probably still has mastitis. Goats only have one udder.

5. Holmestead backyard farm

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    The directions said to administer two does 12 hours apart.

6. Holmestead backyard farm

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    I used the Today brand. I may have used wrong term as far as udder. Only one side fills with milk.

7. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Are you getting her milked out all the way?
    You really need to do that.
    Have you checked her temp?
    You really need to do that too.
    Ideally, you would get a culture done to know exactly what you are dealing with.
    But, if you use Today you would generally give it for several days. I think our vet told us 2 days after the milk is clear.
    Good luck.

8. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    A decently bred Oberhasli doe of that age would be giving more than that. Mine were still giving around a gallon a day at that age, however, they had both sides of their udder working. That does make a difference.

Sounds like mastitis is back. You really need a culture to know which antibiotic is needed for the bacteria causing the infection. Talk to your vet about it.

9. lada823

lada823 Active Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Ohio
    Good advice above. I would add, while you are waiting on a culture, you can give her vitamin c, calcium, and magnesium. I gave mine 2000 mg vitamin c, 1200 mg of calcium and 1000 mg of magnesium twice a day along with probiotics. You may want to give her some antibiotics if you can't get the culture back from the vet. If it the infection gets into her system it could be bad.

10. Davi

Davi Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Massaging the effected side of the bag helps too if its mastitis, it helps break up any hardened things inside.

11. Holmestead backyard farm

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    Thank you. I think at first, I wasn’t milking her thoroughly which may have started this. Now I am milking her out, but have only been milking once daily (she doesn’t like being milked) as that was what the previous owner told me to do. I’m going to start twice daily and see if that improves. She has not been the most pleasant when milking. I’m hoping we can get her milk to increase. I’ve also never taken temperature, i’m waiting for the feed store to open up this morning to buy some things and I’ll look for a thermometer while I’m there.

12. Holmestead backyard farm

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    I have been massaging. There are some hard spots. I think we must have acquired her with some issues to start out.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Warm compresses.
    I use a hot water bottle, holds heat better. Do it for 20 minutes, 2 x a day if possible.
    First:
    Wash her udder with iodine/water.
    Dry her udder
    Milk her as much as you can.
    Heat compress
    Massage, for 15 to 20 minutes, you can use vics or other.
    Milk her again.

14. Davi

Davi Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Yeah, we had the same with one of our first goats. She came with maestitis and it took a lot of work to get it worked out. I hope yours gets better soon!

15. Runningdog

Runningdog New Member

Nov 17, 2019
    California

16. Holmestead backyard farm

Apr 22, 2020
    North Georgia
    The yuck cleared out completely after another day. We continued with the massaging and added some probiotics to our routine. Unfortunately her milk production has pretty much stopped. At least she is healthy, and hopefully we can get a better start on milking her the next go round..

17. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would also blood test this doe for CAE.