SLow Growing Buckling

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GSFarm, Nov 30, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I'm having bit of trouble this year with growing one perticular buckling. His momma was about 17" at the wethers, so I expected him to be small. He's a little underweight by a weight chart standard but he's a lot shorter. He was born in April and weighs about 38lbs. I feed him all alone now because I figured out he was a VERY VERY slow eater. He'll take a bite then look around and walk around then go back and eat and by the time he has two or three bites in all the food is gone. He's really pretty active, but I don't know if I'm overreacting.

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Has he had cocci? Maybe his mom was a late bloomer. Our pet whether Willie was small when I got him at weaning and hasn't grown too much since we got him. He's a myotonic and mom is 75 lbs. We had some bucklings that took a while to take off and grow.

3. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Nope hasn't had cocci. I weaned him at 9 1/2 weeks because he was getting "too friendly" with the does and his mother. He's healthy, but just small.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Some lines are just later maturing that others. Is he in rut at all? I'm having problesm with my younger bucks in rut eating too :?

5. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I believe he was in a small rut. He was only born in April but since rut started he slowed down on growing.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I bet its rut then. April bucklings still come into a pretty strong rut.

7. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Yup. I wormed him today and watches him eat. It took him about 25 min to eat a cup of grain. Once he gets more weight on him I bet he'll look great.