Slow Growth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatnutty, Jul 23, 2008.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I have 2 boer does that are supposed to be 90 something % but I'm concerned about how small they are :hair: .How big should they be by now? They were born on Dec. 4th & 9th.I will get pics soon.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I thought about that as well.The guy that I bought them from said he would take them back if things didn't work out so I might give them back?

4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Were they dam raised or bottled? Worming or cocci treatment history. Need to think about if these does are going to be for breeding purposes. Did the dams not have enough milk or are the mothering skills not up to par to produce a healthy kid? They should be decent size by now. Just my thoughts.
    Sue

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    When I bought them i was told that they were Dam raised (saw their dams and they were very nice goats.),had been wormed,I don't know about cocci treatment/prevention.I think I'm going to call the person I bought them from.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, I would definitely find out about the cocci treatment/prevention. That is likely the cause for slow growth as it stunts them.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you call ask how big his kids are usually at that age and then compare. are his goats slow growers on average? Some lines are just slower growing but mature nicely once they do.

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Have you weight them? Pictures would help. We have one that was a little short chunk in the last two weeks he's finely start get taller. He's a late dec/early jan kid. Shelly