The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Alpine does that were both born March 6th of last year. They are almost a year old and are quite small still. They are about the same size as my 3 year old Nigerian dwarf doe. Because they are small I did not breed them last year. Are their any suggestions on what I might do to get them to grow and be able to be bred this fall. I got them both from a friend who has great Alpines. They don't seem to have trouble growing and she was able to breed her doe babies from last spring this last fall. Any help would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
359 Posts
This has happened to my two Saanens when they were doelings. They had a pretty bad case of coccidia, which we treated. They stayed small for a while, but they actually grew large enough for them to be bred. I waited until they were almost 3 years old to breed them, they now look nice and healthy! Don't lose hope! :razz:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, so how do I find out if it's coccidia? Should I haul them into the vet, or just treat them. I did get a wormer, can't remember what it was, from the vet last fall. But obviously that didn't do the trick. They do not have diarrhea and they do not act sick. Could it still be coccidia?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Goats can have a cocci load without showing signs. Dewormers do not kill cocci, since they are not worms. You need meds specifically made for cocci. I use Baycox, or it's generic sister.

Some goats will grow a bit at a year if the cause of the stunting is reversed, others will not. I have 2 does that I got as yearlings that had a cocci issue and never treated. They did not grow to their full potential.

If yours do not grow fully, you can still breed them to a Nigerian buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts