The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have myotonic fainting goats. They are a smaller breed by nature, but I am worried that the billy we got to be the herd sire is not going to mature or be big enough to breed. Me was supposedly born in May making him 4 months old. He only weighs 22 pounds and was a single kid. His mom is 80 pounds and the does we have are a year and a half old and weigh 60 pounds. We have another single kid that was born a month ago and is a doeling and she is already up to 10 pounds and almost as tall as him!

We give them loose goat minerals free choice, wormed them, some goat ration every night with beef builder mixed in, tons of brushy woods to eat, he is weaned...but he is so little and doesn't even try to mount. He is in with 4 open does and doesn't even try to sniff them. He has a healthy looking genitalia area. He stills stands straight up and lets pee just dribble out. He doesn't do the normal buck thing and pee on himself or even show his parts. We went to a goat sale this weekend and 3 month old goats were already mounting the does. I am wondering if we need to start looking for a different billy. The photo is of him and his mother a month ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am not experienced with fainting goats, but I would be wondering also. I would do a fecal to include cocci, check the color of the inside of his eyelids, take his temperature and check for external parasites.

What kind of loose minerals is he gettting? What did you do to worm him.

Someone else on the forum will have more experience with this. I would just make sure his overall health is good first and then question his ability. It would be very unusual for a dairy buckling to not show any bucky behavior by 4 months.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His coloring is good. We wormed with Cydection orally. He gets the loose minerals for goats from tractor supply by Manna Pro. No external parasites. Eats very well and is good spirits. Nice slick coat. I'll try to do the fecal and temperature.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Cocci is a serious issue for young kids. I do prevention with my kids to avoid accidentally stunting them. You should have him tested for cocci.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With the cocci prevention/treatment I like to use a product called corid for my goats it works very well for them and I would also vaccinate CD-T and other vaccinations. Does he stand with his head down a lot? Like he's depressed. That is another sign of cocci. I hope you get things figured out soon!

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are such things as mini fainters. Their adult height is 21" or less at 3 yrs old. As for the not going into rut yet, my boy born in March, which makes him around 5-6 months old just went into a mini rut. My boy also weighs 45 lbs. might be he is just a late bloomer, or the fact that he is housed 24/7 with the girls makes him not interested. I suggest a fecal, treat for that. Also, don't worry about him not getting the job done, he could be doing his thing in the middle of the night. Friend had a myo Buck she never seen breed but had kids from him this spring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are such things as mini fainters. Their adult height is 21" or less at 3 yrs old. As for the not going into rut yet, my boy born in March, which makes him around 5-6 months old just went into a mini rut. My boy also weighs 45 lbs. might be he is just a late bloomer, or the fact that he is housed 24/7 with the girls makes him not interested. I suggest a fecal, treat for that. Also, don't worry about him not getting the job done, he could be doing his thing in the middle of the night. Friend had a myo Buck she never seen breed but had kids from him this spring.
Really? Mini fainters huh! That is awesome. I love mini anything! He acts like he feels fine, full of energy and the best fainter that we own. He faints several times a week. It is hilarious! I will continue to monitor him and see what happens. Last night is the first time I have ever seen him "display" his stuff at all and he took a couple sniffs of the girls. Maybe he will come around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts