The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased an all black boer buck in September to add to our goat family. We are looking to breed him to our 3 does this fall. We were told he was born last March so he will soon be a year old but he only weighs about 60lbs. Is this normal? How can we be sure he is an actual boer goat? He is filled out, not super skinny. We just are afraid he won't be ready to breed to our big girls. We have a boer/Nubian cross doe who was born on our farm and is about 85lbs. And she's supposed to be the same age as the buck.

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Ahuges. :wave:
Can you post a pic of him for us?
It is possible he may have had a bout with cocci when younger but his current size wont affect the genetics. Do you happen to know his history?
I know from first hand experience that a Boer % buck can get the job done at 3 months.:sigh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to take a current picture of him. We saw his father and mother when we picked him up. They were both normal size and looked healthy.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
I would have a fecal analysis completed to see if there are any parasite issues right now. You can bring a fecal sample to your livestock vet, or mail one to MidAmerica Agricultural Research (only costs $5)

There are quite a few treatments for coccidiosis, but unless he has an active problem right now, they aren't going to help him. If it was a previous bout of coccidia that was untreated and has damaged his gut, it can affect nutrient uptake for life. Coccidiastats include Di-Methox, Albon, etc. Your vet could recommend one if his fecal analysis shows an issue. Remember that fecal analysis will always show parasites and coccidia at low levels - you only need to treat when the egg counts are high and the goat is symptomatic.

However, we don't even know if this is the case. Maybe his size is normal for his genetics and lines. 38 pounds at 6 months is quite small for a Fullblood boer, but there are breeders out there who don't cull and just breed every animal or who aren't very experienced yet in choosing good animals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your help. This is all new to me and definetly a learning experience. We were planning on using him this fall but it makes us nervous now. I guess we will send in his samples and try to figure out what's going on .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts