Small Buck x Full sized Doe

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Gooseberry Creek, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Hi, I have a 7 1/2 mo old Nigerian Dwarf and I want to breed him to my Full sized LaMancha Doe
    who is 16 mos old and has never been bred. I just got her this summer so this is the first time Ive noticed her in heat. She is tail wagging, more vocal, and I saw some clear discharge. She was hanging by his fence this morning rubbing on it and smelling him.
    So I take her into the buckling's pen and all she wants to do is head butt him! She does rub on him a little but then starts with the head butting and even biting!

She is quite a bit bigger than him and I'm afraid she might hurt him. He doesn't act like it hurts although she hit him hard in the head. He is acting bucky: blubbering and trying to mount etc.
    Is this normal -Older does being mean to younger bucks? I made her stand for him inside his buckhouse and he jumped up on his sleeping platform and mounted her. It looked like he did the deed but I can't be sure from the view I had. I tried to look at her back end to see if there was semen etc but I didnt see any on her vagina but her tail was wet but that could have been from her own discharge from before? No Clue...

I honestly think she wants a male that is bigger and more dominant than her. I want to breed for mini Manchas so I want this buckling because he has his milk star etc.
    Any thoughts on all this? lol

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Sometimes you have to hold a first time lady still for the guys.

3. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    That's good to know. She is just so vicious..its like she is a black widow lol!! Maybe I'm just not used to being a goat madam haha.
    Does anyone think that there's a chance that the breeding 'took'? I read the female will hunch up when bred if it took but she didnt seem to do that..it was all so quick lol..talk about Ten Second Tom:heehee:

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure she was in heat when you tried to breed them? Goats have a 21 day cycle.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I had a mature doe who refused a young buck lol..flat out refused him..had him cowering in a corner lol..but as mentioned new to the game girls may need to be held still. A Nigie can def get the job done but may need a platform. We are fancy here and use a plyboard on a tire lol. It works. Your buck is also young so may need a bit more time to get the job done. We want to see 3 successful attempts to feel good about the breeding. And yes..he is successful when she tucks her rear. And he will need time to reboot before a second attempt.

6. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I am new at this so, No, I am not 100% that she was in heat lol but she had signs like clear discharge which I havent seen on her before, flagging, she was very interested hanging by his fence and rubbing on it, also much more vocal than usual. Since Lamanchas are fall breeders I am guessing this is her first heat since I've had her. Its been a hot summer in Florida and we are starting to finally get some cooler weather.
    She doesn't like new goats and takes her a while to warm up to them anyways and the buckling is fairly new too. She is also the boss and most dominant goat we have. She is a real sweetie to people.

I will try again tomorrow if she still seems like she is still in heat.
    The buckling has a sleeping platform in his 10x7ft buckhouse which is pretty big for that little squirt lol. The sleeping platform just luckily, turned out to be the perfect height for him to mount her. As far as I know, she is his first mating as well. So there ya go...none of us know what we are doing (rofl)
    I just hope she doesnt try to kill him tomorrow lol.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California