Small doe, big buck, accidental breeding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by milkmaid, Oct 20, 2020.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

My large 50/50 mini Mancha buck, Elladan, broke in with Patty, a small 75% Nigerian/25% Lamancha mini Mancha. The size difference is enough that imI concerned about her trying to deliver too-big babies. She kidded last year but was bred to a smaller buck, and she is small- boned.
    I've never used Lute before so I'm wanting some advice.
    - How to judge if a doe is too small in comparison to the buck.
    - Your experience, if any, with small does delivering kids from large bucks.
    -I read somewhere that a doe's body will, to some extent, regulate the size of kids to what she can handle. I've certainlyseen this to be mostly true in my experience, but what are your thoughts?
    - Potential side effects of Lute.
    - When to Lute.
    - How/where to get Lutalyse.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have to get it from a vet. Can lute 14 days after breeding. Personally have had no problems. But there are plenty of successful births. Need to watch feed intake and need to be there for the birth.

weisacres, MadHouse and milkmaid like this.

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I've had large to small breedings (accidental) and they worked out well, no problems.

MadHouse and milkmaid like this.
  4. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    If it was recently, you can get lutalyse from the vet and give her 2cc 14 days after the breeding. Give it IM.
    I’ve had big bucks breed small does with very little issues kidding, including one Pygmy doe bred to a Nubian(okay, that one was a hard pull with the first kid, but it ended fine.)

MadHouse and milkmaid like this.
  5. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    The size of a buck isn’t a good indication on the birth weights he will throw. Huge bucks can throw low birth weights while small bucks can throw high birth weights.

Has he sired any kids before? That’ll give you a better idea.

6. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Thanks all! I have quite a few of his babies, and they all were small to medium sized kids.
    I'm going to make sure she gets excellent nutrition and not too much grain, and pray really hard that everything is OK.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    With him being 50% Nigerian, I think you have as good a chance as any for a successful outcome.

milkmaid and Sfgwife like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California