Small Doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sybil, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I purchased a small alpine doe and buck kid last fall/winter. They were June kids so they just turned 1 year old. The buck has blossomed into a very impressive fellow but his sister has stopped growing. My dam raised April kids are as big as she is! She has been wormed and treated for cocci. Check fecals monthly on her and random on the herd. She eats good. Has free choice orchard grass hay, free choice pasture, and is grained once a day along with the other growing kids with wet/dry cob mixed with calf manna and beet pulp added. She would leave alfalfa pellets when they were mixed in with the grain. Thinking about getting a bale of alfalfa to feed to her and the growing kids. I bought her for her blood lines and hoped that she matured out into a normal sized doe. Now she is more of a pet and we call her "Midget". I'm afraid to breed her this fall to my alpine buck so will probably breed her nigerian. Don't want to hold her over another year! Any suggestions to get her growing again?
    Sue

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have a weight on her?

sometimes breeding them can help them to grow more.

I had a oberhalsi little girl who was the size of my nigerians at over a year old. we bred her but she died from japanese yew poisoning before she kidded so I didnt get to see if it would help her or not. we bred her to an oberhasli buck. :shrug:

3. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I bought her last fall/winter when she was around 6 months old. She and her brother were very small. They were late kids, bottled fed and in with older kids so probably on the bottom of the pecking order. She has grown quite a bit and kept up her rate of growth with her brother until just the last couple months. (measured heart girth every couple months) He has matured into a gorgous fellow and the size of the older yearling buck I have. No pygmy or nigerian goats present. I know these dam raised kids are huge that I have. I have heard breeders say that breeding the doe did not hinder their growth---that they are going to grow wether they are bred or not. I will keep feeding her separate and maybe add a little alfalfa hay to supplement her and start measuriing her every couple weeks. Would like to breed her to a full size buck this fall/winter. Thanks for the help!
    Sue

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have a height on her? like what is her height and weight currently?

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007