Small Emergency. Doe not putting on weight.*ADDED PICS

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok so we have 2 does, one was born this july and the other in august. Both were bottle babies

Pearl my august baby has been acting distant lately, and not eating alot.

A few days ago my mom said she noticed she could see Pearls and Lotus's back bone, which she hadnt noticed before.

Now tonight she called me and said they are both acting sick, they have watery eyes and arent really moving around alot. Normally these girls are wanting to jump in your lap.

All this is happening while im 100 miles away so im kinda freaking out right now. I wont be home until thursday....

Any idea whats wrong with them? Is there anything I can do? :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Small Emergency.

did your mom take their temps?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

No, she just got there, should she? Whats the normal temp?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

normal temp is 101-103

but anything above 102.5 at night in the fall/winter I take for a fever

yes she should take their temp. THats the first thing you do when a goat is acting off

5. TinyHoovesRanch

She doesnt know to check there temp. We didnt have a therm there so she went home. Shes calling one of my goats friends that lives near us to see what they think we should do. My mom thinks its cocci....

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Has she taken her temp yet?
    How is the goat doing? :hug:

7. TinyHoovesRanch

We talked to our vet, they said not to worry to much and to treat for cocci. So yesterday morning my mom gave them a bottle of cocci medicine and electrolytes. Both babies sucked it down and right after were all bouncy and back to there happy baby ways.

Today we are going back over, I will be able to go now thank god! I will take some pics if see that they still look bad. Im just happy theytook the medicine. I will also take there temps so we know if its bad...Hoping for the best.....

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Glad you got advice from a vet....get that temp...so we can make sure... it isn't something more.... :hug:

9. TinyHoovesRanch

I will definently do that as soon as I can get to them. Thanks for the help!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome....keep us updated.....

11. TinyHoovesRanch

For sure! Im going out to see them very soon. Prayng they are ok! I CANT lose anyone right now.....

12. TinyHoovesRanch

UGH :(

Ok so heres the update...

Today the weather was over 90 all day. I checked all the goats that were in the baby pen except one, shes very independent and didnt look sick in anyway.

Lotus was 103. I can tell shes sick, even after not seeing her for over a month. I can feel her backbone and shes all fuzzy and not acting herself. She still has energy, is eatig and drinking and I saw her pee once while I was with her

Pearl, the worst one. She was 104. Shes about the same as Lotus. She was slow though, she didnt have alot of energy but omg when she saw me she came running over and just wanted me to love on her. I spent the most time with her, im the most worried with her.

Georgia and adelle bot had temps of 104 and they arent acting sick or anything, they have both had Cocci before but ive been treating them just in case. I really wish I could put them with the adults but I dont want to risk it

I gave them more meds today, and then fed them some alfalfa, they were eating good, not fast like normal but they were eating.....

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Small Emergency. UPDATE 10/14

glad they are still eating and drinking.

I would give aspirin for the fevers (or if you have Banamine thats even better). Give 1 adult tablet each to the kids.

14. TinyHoovesRanch

How do I give it? I dont have any Banamine sadly lol...

So its definently a good sign they are up and eating right? Im so flippin worried....

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

crush it up and then dissolve in water and syringe feed (or add to their bottle if it dissolves enough)

16. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok I will try that. Do you think the high fever had anything to do with the hot weather?

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

possibly but anything above 103 isnt really normal and the fact that they are already acting sick makes me feel that the temp is related to that more then just the heat

Aspirin wont hurt them

18. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok just wondering because the 2 older ones that arent acting sick at all had high temps too, they have had cocci before though when they were babies....

Ive never had cocci on my farm though so Im not liking them being so sick. Especially my 2 youngest ones. I do have a one month old but shes with her mom in a seperate pen and not acting sick at all

I will give them some aspirin

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well adults can get coccidia too ;) its not somethign they become immune to because they had it as kids

20. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya lol I understand. Im just happy that they arent as sick. They have been getting the medicine too. Luckily they are all bottle babies so its super easy haha

Last time this happened a goat died....So Im just really stressing