Small Farm Conference SoCenMichigan/NE Indiana/NW Ohio

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by Pam B, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Hillsdale County Michigan is hosting a Small Farm Conference for people who are either currently running a small farm or who are interested in starting a small farm on February 21, 2009 at the Camden-Frontier School in southern Hillsdale County.

Conference sessions include:
    -Common Animal Ailments
    -Rotational Grazing
    -Growing Food for your Family
    -Poultry for Beginners
    -Pasture Hardware/Fencing
    -Marketing Your Farm Products Locally
    -An Introduction to the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program
    -Tractor Ownership 101 and 102
    -Soil Preparation
    -Pasture Funding

Lunch will be provided and will consist of locally grown foods.

Cost is $10 per adult, $5 per child. Registration deadline is February 16th.

You can pick up registration forms at:
    Pittsford Feed Mill
    Brad's Appliance
    Schmidt Farms
    TSC in Jonesville
    Hillsdale Conservation District Office

or if you live in NW Ohio or NE Indiana and can't get to those locations to pick up a registration form you can PM me with your address and I will mail one to you.

2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I know there are a bunch of you that are close enough to come to this! Granmajo, FunnyRiverFarm, I'm talking to YOU!!! :greengrin: I know there are other people in Adrian and just over the state line in NE Indiana on the Goat Spot that might be interested in this, just can't remember what your screen names are right now. This is going to be a great time for people to get together and share ideas on keeping our small farms going in this economy. I hope lots of goatie people can attend.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    IDK if I could get up there but we will see...

4. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I am trying to attend but that requires me getting into a bus and travelen there and then staying in a hotel for a few days. MINI VACATION YA!

5. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    This should be good. We're trying to build a network of small farmers who can exchange ideas and help one another improve our farms and marketing abilities. We're also looking to build that "buy locally grown food" base. I'm excited about it. :leap:

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Sorry Pam, I haven't been on here a whole lot this week, my dad had surgery. Let me see when his next surgery is scheduled, and I will try to attend. Heck, I've been trying to get to the Tri-state dairy goat meeting in Bryan, OH since October, but haven't made it yet, lol. But it really sounds great!

7. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I hope your dad is doing better and that his next surgery won't interfere with you being able to come to this. It's going to be fun, and I'm really looking forward to meeting more of the people around here that are trying to do what we do. Since it's just at Camden-Frontier it isn't far at all. And you can't beat the price of $10 for a whole day of seminars and a yummy hot lunch.

8. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Has everyone who is interested in this gotten their registration forms? Sent them in yet?

I'm really looking forward to meeting a bunch of other farmers with smaller operations at this. It's going to be good! :cool:

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I can't go sorry. I have sports that day.

10. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Bumping this to remind everyone in the area that it is only three weeks away!

Grandmajo, did you get your registration forms? I hope I'll see you there.

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I just saw this! I would really like to go, but I have to work at the ski resort that day and there's no way I can take it off because I'm already planning to take two saturdays off in March (one of them for MSU's Spring Goat day! Hooray!). Oh, well... :sigh:

Oh, and I have kind of a funny story for you Pam B.! I was talking to my Mom the other day and she mentioned that the wife of one guys that got elected to the board of Commissioners raised goats (My Mom is the Cheif Deputy Clerk and runs all the election stuff). And I was like "Oh really??" and then she told me the last name and I was like "Oh my gosh! I totally know her! I've talked to her on the internet!" Then I had to tell her all about TGS and what a wonderful resource it's been and what wonderful people I've met here...so, yeah, anyway, small world, LOL! :cool:

12. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Yep! That's me "Mrs. Commissioner"! That's wild that I know your mom!!! I think I hear "It's a Small World" playing in the background. :clap:

I'm sorry you can't come to the Small Farm Conference. We're supposed to be making this an annual thing, and when we get some of the networking resources together I'll make sure you get them. Maybe you'll be able to come next time.

I wish I could go to Spring Goat Day up at MSU this year. It's always such a good day. But hubby and I are going to be at a couples retreat at the church camp named for the three states for that whole weekend. Choosing between enhancing my marriage and becoming a better goatherd was difficult, but I guess I've got to put my hubby first. After all, he is the one who makes it possible for us to have all these goats! :wink:

13. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Sorry Pam,

I ended up not getting a registration form, since they scheduled my dad for his surgery on the 16th. If it went well and they could repair the aneurysm with a stent then he would only be in the hospital overnight, but if they couldn't do it that way, then they'd have to open him up and he'd have to stay for 2 weeks. Not knowing which way they would have to go, I decided not to chance it, as I would have to drive my mom back and forth to the hospital.

Of course, since I decided not to register to go, they were able to do everything with the stent, and he came home on the 17th :veryangry: