Small one year old buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CHARLES GREER, May 17, 2020.

1. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I have a buck that just turned a year old and only weighs in at 40 lbs. he is naturally polled so I don't know if that makes a difference. What can I do to put some weight on? He also never grew a beard.could it just be genetics?

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky

3. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    I have a year old ND that is about the same weight. She is really tiny! For that reason I am not going to breed her till this fall or later. Have you had a fecal test? He may have an overload that’s keeping him from gaining weight.

4. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    No I haven't done a fecal we don't have any vets around that won't charge a ridicules price for this service so I just try and do everything myself. I have given ivomec, copper bolus ,and toltrazuril ( coccidia)And selinum.

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Could I see a pic of him? I'm not a Nigerian person but, I am a vitamin deficiency person.

6. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    There are labs such as MeadowMist to send fecals to very inexpensive. Downfall is result can take a week.
    Most vets only charge about $25 a fecal (ouch, yes). If time was of the essence you may want to actually call around and figure out who would do it.
    I'm in the same boat. Only 3 region vets do goats, the rest get snotty and hang up if you call with simple lab requests, and you're talking $120 for them to just open their vehicle door on your property. They are all an hour or more away if they could even leave the second you call in for help. Real emergencies here will end with a prayer or a bullet.

Pictures be helpful. Mineral deficiencies do all sorts of things.
    Is this goat registered? We can take a peak at his genetics as well.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Is he underweight? Feel boney across the spine and hips?

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Pics would be helpful. Second sending in your own fecal to meadow mist. Have you ever treated for Cocci or worms?

9. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Yes, feels really boney. I know his background as where he came from and the lady always has very good bloodlines just don't know whats up with this one.

10. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Does breeder have posted biosecurity testing? Around here, it's usually right on the website and available.

Most likely this is a feed and mineral deal, with the info you've provided. Possibly worm issue, so fecal necessary.
    What's he eating?

11. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Also I believe Nigerians don't start growing beards until 2 years old.

12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    My ND bucks have all grown beards by a year old. I currently have a buck who just turned a year old in April who has a decent beard. He is much smaller than my mature bucks (he’s probably 60# but I haven’t weighed him) but his dam was very petite so I don’t expect him to be huge.

It does sound like a parasite and/or nutritional problem. Maybe something early that stunted his growth. Some of my current bucklings that just turned 8 weeks old just weighed in at 20#.