Small Pygmy should I breed her

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kritterkeeper, Jan 24, 2010.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    HI everyone

My question~ I have pygmy doe who will be 2 on May 12,

she is smaller then her mom so I am wondering if it would be safe to breed her
    she weights 31 lbs and is 17 inches tall at the withers and 30 inches long..has any one every breed some one small like her and had a safe delivery..

Thank you!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she small because of slow growth or her lines mature slower? was she stunted for any particular reason?

is she wide in the rear?

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I think she is just small- her mom is about 19 inch tall, and weights about 60 lbs and is 39 inch long .. her brother is not huge but is taller...

she is very wide for her size I think..

she is just short and does not weigh a lot...

4. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I do not know how her line from mom up grows I got mom when she was 4 or 5 yrs old... already breed to have Ava and Adam...

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Do you have any pictures of her?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I currently have a doe that will turn 2 years Feb 20th.... she to is small and I just don't feel comfortable having her bred. She's just under 18 inches and weighs 45 pounds. Big enough with height and weight, she's just not long enough for my liking.
    Most goats don't reach their full size til they are 3 years old, with my doe, she was 1 of 3 and not the smallest at birth either.

Go with your gut feeling, regardless of wether her age and height are "right" for breeding.

7. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I will take a new picture of her tomorrow! She has grown since the last ones I took!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    IMO, the doe is probably too small to breed. 17 inches is a really small doe, about the height/weight of my 6 month old nigerian kids

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The only way I would breed her is if you can find a small buck also. Do your research, see if you can get a little history on the babies he throws. Make sure he does not throw big babies.

I have a HUGE buck that tends to throw smaller babies, but they grow really fast like he did. So when people come to me for breeding and the doe is small I always recommend they bred to him, but it is their choice.