The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
noob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wether Oatis has one normal looking horn and one horn that is smaller, oddly shaped, and seemed to even wiggle a little. I didn't try to wiggle it too much since I'm sure that's not comfortable for him, but it didn't seem as strongly rooted as the other. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Is there anything I can/should be doing to help it even out?

Attachments

·
noob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well poop. I'm a noob obviously and hadn't recognized them as scurs earlier on (I've had him and his brother, who's "horns" are also scurs then I'm sure, for about two months now). I've mostly seen scurs as really thin wonky growths, not larger deformed horn type growths.

Would it be best to trim them back? Or just leave them be? Aside from them looking a little dorky I don't mind them. I've kind of gotten used to them being "horned", is there a medical reason to remove them?

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
If you are fine with them and they aren't growing into their head or towards their eyes, you can just trim as needed and leave them alone.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I leave the scurs alone unless as Karen said..they are growing into the head or toward the eyes..they can be a pain sometimes...and sometimes they knock them off and they will bleed like crazy, but he will be just fine..;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well if they are your only goats and they aren't using them to hurt you or other goats let them go. But if they are using them band or trim them back. We have a "unicorn" that has a stub we have to trim regularly because it curls into her skull. But your goat doesnt seem to have that problem.

·
noob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll probably leave them be for now, but I'll be sure to let my elderly neighbor who dotes on them (dotes on goats lol) know that theres a possibility of their horns knocking lose and bleeding or entirely coming off. Poor woman would probably have a heart attack if she just came across them like that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts